Recumbent shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pemsey

Hi - new on here and found this discussion (I have just ..literally-bought a 'bent trike)- I've read some stuff about the mid position cleat setting previously. I haven't tried it myself - not sure if it would "work" for me or not but it did occur to me that the mid foot position is pretty close to the position that small children, riders in the 3rd world and anyone who hasn't been "taught" about the " correct" position tend to place their feet on the pedals. Obviously a lot of that is to do with what position feels most secure when you're not attached to the pedals etc - but I can't help thinking there might be some "intuition" there about what feels right.
It may just be the case that the mid position will work well for some people and not others - maybe ther's just no right or wrong about foot positon - whatever works and feels comfortable is obviously the "best" position.

Newbie on a tadpole in Northants

sunnyjim

Hi - new on here and found this discussion (I have just ..literally-bought a 'bent trike)- I've read some stuff about the mid position cleat setting previously. I haven't tried it myself - not sure if it would "work" for me or not but it did occur to me that the mid foot position is pretty close to the position that small children, riders in the 3rd world and anyone who hasn't been "taught" about the " correct" position tend to place their feet on the pedals. Obviously a lot of that is to do with what position feels most secure when you're not attached to the pedals etc - but I can't help thinking there might be some "intuition" there about what feels right.
It may just be the case that the mid position will work well for some people and not others - maybe ther's just no right or wrong about foot positon - whatever works and feels comfortable is obviously the "best" position.

Whatever the answer, there's definitely more research needed. I've a suspicion that cleat position and crank length are somehow related, but with absolutely no evidence.

Hopefully the increasing numbers of recumbulantists will lead to more data points.

OP
OP
starhawk

starhawk

You are right about that :thumbsup: I always had my foot on the mid position before a friend of mine introduced me to clips. But the fore position may be more natural when you sprint, something I rarely do since I upgraded my trike to an e-trike

byegad

Legendary Member
Mickle is obviously well wound up about this. Just to restate.

I moved my cleats as far back as they would go to get rid of numb toes in winter and hot foot in summer. As I've said before this was for comfort not heel strike, or efficiency issues. I've noticed no loss in power from doing this.

I hope he's equally keen on redesigning uprights so there is no toe overlap with the front wheel as this is far more dangerous than brushing your heel on the ground now and again.

OP
OP
starhawk

starhawk

As I have bought a pair of racing shoes to have as backup I have now started the modifying process on the spinning shoes. I have grinded away a lot of the rubber sole to make place for the SPD cleats, the shoes originally had recessed cleats and I want to keep it that way after experienced walking on the racing shoes which don't have recessed cleats. Just one question there, how much clear space is needed around the cleat? I have a good clearence in front of and behind the cleat but literally none on the sides, is that okey?
I am thinking about glueing some rubber from an inner tube on the cleat to remove the crackling noise when walking on a sanded road, or would that be to thick for the pedal?

I'm not sure I understand this thread, but will try to help. The answer seems pretty clear to me.

When recumbent, my shoes of choice are bedroom slippers.

Sometimes I'll go without shoes altogether and sit by the fire with bare feet.

On my bicycle (a proper bicycle) I favour cycling shoes.

I hope these words have helped.

OP
OP
starhawk

starhawk

I'm not sure I understand this thread, but will try to help. The answer seems pretty clear to me.

When recumbent, my shoes of choice are bedroom slippers.

Sometimes I'll go without shoes altogether and sit by the fire with bare feet.

On my bicycle (a proper bicycle) I favour cycling shoes.

I hope these words have helped.

Well then I can clear it up to you Boris, You are not shure you understand this thread, I can assure you that you don't understand it at all! There is something in the world called recumbent bicycles and as far as this forum goes it is the proper bike!

I hope these words have helped you realize that there is a world outside of your confines

OP
OP
starhawk

starhawk

When on a recumbent, my shoes of choice are sandals
My choice of shoes when on a recumbent is slippers, but that is rather irrelevant as this is about shoes you wear on a recumbent bicycle, or do you wear sandals then as well?

machew

Veteran
My choice of shoes when on a recumbent is slippers, but that is rather irrelevant as this is about shoes you wear on a recumbent bicycle, or do you wear sandals then as well?

Clip-less Sandals and a beard are a must on recumbents

OP
OP
starhawk

starhawk

This weekend will be the test, I shall just drill two additional holes in each shoe so the mounting plate sits more smooth, then it's time to test. The weather forecast says sunny and no clouds so the conditions are ideal

sunnyjim

Check carefully by trial how your foot will lie on the pedal before drilling the holes. I was surprised to find that I needed to move the cleats sideways and at a slightly different angle as well as just backwards to get the most comfortable positon.

OP
OP
starhawk

starhawk

Thanks for the tip! I have only drilled two holes in each shoe as of yet. Maybe wait with the additional holes until I see how my feet want it. I have already moved the position of the new holes to the centre-line of the sole, the original holes are slightly offset in direction of the crank

OP
OP
starhawk

starhawk

Found a kind of alternative to the clips, a heelstrap, basically a wire mounted to the pedals which goes around the heel keeping the foot from falling. The advantage is that you can use any shoes, Wonder if it is any good?

sunnyjim

Found a kind of alternative to the clips, a heelstrap, basically a wire mounted to the pedals which goes around the heel keeping the foot from falling. The advantage is that you can use any shoes, Wonder if it is any good?
I used to ski with bindings something like that..^_^ .They were discussed over on BROL about a year ago IIRC - named something like heel sling pedals. It sounds like a good idea for using normal shoes, but not sure if it would let you pull on the pedal for a true circular motion.
You can also get platforms with a cleat on the bottom & clips on the top intended for triathlons so they don't have to change from cycling to running shoes.I can't remember the company.

Top Bottom