Recumbent shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
starhawk

starhawk

You are probably thinking of Pyro, but Terratrike have a set of interesting things called Strapped Heel Support Pedals, the interesting thing is that the axle are exactly at the midfoot position, right where I want them! they are currently out of stock, hope not for eternity

zoxed

Über Member
Hase also sell heel supports: http://hasebikes.com/29-1-recumbent-trike-kettwiesel-allround.html then "Select Accessories" and scroll down.

OP
OP
starhawk

starhawk

Update!
The modified shoes have been tested without success, the rubber sole is thicker at the new position so the cleats doesn't reach the locking mechanism in the pedals. While I was thinking about placing washers under the cleat I ordered Terratrikes Strapped Heel Support Pedals and they have now arrived, so the modifying process now doesn't feel so relevant. You can use any shoes you want in these pedals or more platforms, and the axle are in exactly the right position, midfoot! I changed the pedals yesterday so now I'm only waiting for the weather to get better so I can test them

sunnyjim

Look forward to that, SH - they would certainly be handy when going somewhere where walking over polished wooden floors in cleats is frowned on.
My shoe mods did require a fair bit of surgery butchery.

OP
OP
starhawk

starhawk

Well I tried walking up a stone staircase with cleats on my racing shoes, a truly scary experience. But if I remove the cleats I can use the cycling shoes too. The mod is put on hold until I see if these new pedals suits me.

Night Train

Maker of Things
This thread has been interesting.

When on an upright bike my feet feel fine clipped in but the same shoes clipped in on the trike feel wrong.
I may try relocating the cleats nearer mid sole as an experiment.

I suspect that when upright and pushing down on a pedal my foot pressure is more towards the toe of the shoe due to both the angle of my foot (toe slightly down) and gravity.
When on the trike I push with a slightly flatter foot angle but also gravity then works to load my foot back towards the heel of the shoe.

This changes the direction of thrust through the cleat and give the apparent effect of it being too close to the toes. I suspect that moving the cleat, perhaps around 5mm back or thereabouts, would make a difference.
Whether it is an improvement or I don't know but it is worth a try, when I can ride again.

byegad

Legendary Member
Night Train. I'd suggest you try the cleats fully back in the existing slots, this was enough for me although I found SPDs still gave me numb toes in winter and hot foot in summer. As I've said before I use Crank Brothers platform pedals and suffer no more.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Cheers, bygad, I think they are already all the way back anyway.
They were only cheap Aldi shoes so I will see how it works out.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
starhawk

starhawk

Was out on a short test run today, The pedals works fine, I got rid of the anklestrap pretty soon, it is really not needed and is awkward to attach. The pedals where very comfortable to use, that "pedal in the foot" feeling was all gone

Night Train

Maker of Things
Was out on a short test run today, The pedals works fine, I got rid of the anklestrap pretty soon, it is really not needed and is awkward to attach. The pedals where very comfortable to use, that "pedal in the foot" feeling was all gone
Have you got photos with your feet on and off the pedals?

markg0vbr

Über Member
mid sole for me, have a go your knees and ankles will love it.

as to crank lengths :huh: i have long ones on the touring trike and short on the catrike speed as that is what it came with, both work and both are comfortable. i dont spin any faster with the short ones but the leverage comes in to play on a heavy loaded touring trike winding up a long massive hill at 2.3 mph.

what works on a up wrong, will not always work on a proper mode of transport.

OP
OP
starhawk

starhawk

mid sole for me, have a go your knees and ankles will love it.

what works on a up wrong, will not always work on a proper mode of transport.
:thumbsup:

Have read about crank lenght but havent checked mine so I don't know if they are long or short, but they work for me so I'll keep them as they are

Top Bottom