Recumbent trike and childseat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cupples

Hi all. I'm just asking for advice as to whether this seems safe.
Steel framed KMX trike with Topeak rack, with rack mount childseat.
I've taken our youngest for a quick tour around, and it seems ok, but the forces and stresses with this sort of setup seem very different from the usual mounting on the rear of a DF bike. The mounting points (seat stay mounts at the bottom and headrest mounts at the top) seem quite secure, and the child enjoys a much better view than staring at my sweaty back. But is it safe? I have visions of taking a corner at speed, and rack and childseat and child parting company with trike, sliding down the road sideways...

Attachments

• 20190217_162219.jpg
    20190217_162219.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 38
I'd be more concerned about the weight above the rear wheel making the trike more tippy in corners and rolling.

OP
OP
Cupples

Cupples

Fair enough. What sort of tow hitches do bike trailers use? Something that will fit the square profile of the KMX chainstays, or is modification usually needed?

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
Lots of different styles and most come with the trailer.
*IMPORTANT*
If you have a hollow QR skewer it's not strong enough for towing change it for a solid one.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
*IMPORTANT*
If you have a hollow QR skewer it's not strong enough for towing change it for a solid one.
:headshake:

I've only managed to snap one QR axle and I've bent two others, each time after I rolled the trike-trailer.
What I've got to remember to keep checking every 1,000 miles is that it's not working loose.
The trailer fully loaded with camping gear is probably around 25-35 kg.

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
*IMPORTANT*

I meant a solid QR skewer not a solid axle.
Sorry if that caused some confusion.

Tigerbiten, How much does your trailer weigh? Because that weight of 25-35kg seems very low.

My trailer weighs 12.5kg and can take 55kg load.
Most child trailers weigh around the same.
Losing the trailer with luggage is a bother....

...Losing a trailer with a child is a disaster!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom