Red light jumpers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mark_Robson

It's been 26 years since I passed my test but if I remember correctly the correct procedure for a motorist is to accelerate when the lights turn to amber and then floor it when they turn to red. You know that you have 30 seconds before the other lights turn green, plenty of time.
Not following the above procedure during your driving test is an instant failure. :sad:

dondare

Über Member
User3143 said:
Eh? Well I RLJ because I can, I know it pisses off motorists and I get away with it everytime. And in some instances it's safer to RLJ then sit at the red light.

Why do you want to piss off motorists?
It pisses of everybody else, too, and you know this. So you're just being antisocial "because you can".
I've heard the excuse that it's safer to jump the lights often enough, but I've never seen anyone do it for that reason. It is possible to be safe and legal at the same time if you're a decent enough cyclist.

dondare

Über Member
User3143 said:
Why are people stupid if they ride without lights?

Sometimes it makes you hard to see.
It's illegal to ride without lights after dark.
Accusations of "Contributory negligence" by motorist who knocks into you.

dondare said:
Why do you want to piss off motorists?
It pisses of everybody else, too, and you know this. So you're just being antisocial "because you can".
I've heard the excuse that it's safer to jump the lights often enough, but I've never seen anyone do it for that reason. It is possible to be safe and legal at the same time if you're a decent enough cyclist.

Don't bite.FFS.

dondare

Über Member
User3143 said:
Can't you? Would you like me to explain?

No, but you might like to try justifying behaviour that you know to be antisocial and illegal.

Your move. (You're nearly on 5000 posts, by the way.)

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
dondare said:
No, but you might like to try justifying behaviour that you know to be antisocial and illegal.

Your move. (You're nearly on 5000 posts, by the way.)

Please don't use emotional arguments, try and think up something better.

dondare

Über Member
Most pedestrians don't like it and complain that cyclists going through red lights endanger pedestrians crossing the road.
Most drivers don't like it because they don't like cyclists getting in front of them.
Cyclists who obey the law don't like it because "it gives us all a bad name tarred with the same brush &c."

Actually you know all this and by now you've probably reached 5000 anyway so let's save it for another occasion.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
dondare said:
How is that an emotional argument?

This antisocial business, we don't need silly one liner type things like this, especially for lights.

Given that you both live in London, I suppose on RLJing through dedicated ped crossings there is a point there on that one, but it doesn't really apply outside London where RLJing isn't very common and where ped footfalls across superbusy dedicated crossings are a bit on the smaller side.

dondare

Über Member
Motons believe that they only have to obey some of the laws, some of the time, and even when this is not actually endangering anyone and when they are getting away with it their behaviour makes sharing the road a cheerless and irritating experience.

dondare

Über Member
marinyork said:
This antisocial business, we don't need silly one liner type things like this, especially for lights.

Given that you both live in London, I suppose on RLJing through dedicated ped crossings there is a point there on that one, but it doesn't really apply outside London where RLJing isn't very common and where ped footfalls across superbusy dedicated crossings are a bit on the smaller side.

I said antisocial and illegal.

But antisocial is bad anyway, and should be condemned.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
The problem is more when the afore mentioned motorists then attach that annoyance/attitude to all cyclists, whether they jump lights or not.

It is endemic in South London, I get cyclists trying to push past me on the inside :angry: to RLJ when I'm quietly sitting in the ASL waiting for the lights to change. :blush:

Top Bottom