Red light jumpers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dondare

Über Member
User3143 said:
Eh? If they are not endangering anyone how can it be a cheerless and irritating experience?

When you see a knobinacar doing a knobbish thing that you know could get you killed doesn't that micturate you off?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
dondare said:
I said antisocial and illegal.

But antisocial is bad anyway, and should be condemned.

Trivially on the illegal side. The antisocial side is not really getting us anywhere as because it hasn't really been defined as antisocial, hence it is pointless for you to wind someone who knows a lot more than you do (User3143) up :angry:.

dondare

Über Member
tdr1nka said:
The problem is more when the afore mentioned motorists then attach that annoyance/attitude to all cyclists, whether they jump lights or not.

One of the most common complaints against cyclists is that they ignore red lights. This features in everything from Daily Mail Comment to Their Lordships discussing legislation in the Upper House. It affects everything from the way we are perceived and treated by the motoring public and the Police to the way instructions for cyclists in the Highway Code.
My bet is that if cyclists behaved better then they'd be treated better.

dondare

Über Member
marinyork said:
Trivially on the illegal side. The antisocial side is not really getting us anywhere as because it hasn't really been defined as antisocial, hence it is pointless for you to wind someone who knows a lot more than you do (User3143) up :angry:.

Haven't you noticed how bothered both non-cyclists and Law-abiding cyclists are by it? This makes it antisocial seeing as they make up a much greater proportion of Society than rljers do.
Well, Lee probably has more experience in ignoring lights than I have, does this mean that he knows more about it?

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
I just find that in London, when I speak to drivers and non cyclists, by far the biggest gripe is red light jumping and that collectively, we consider ourselves above the law.

Now we can agree or disagree as to whether it is safe to RLJ in certain cirumstances until we're blue in the face but the matter is the overall impression that cyclists are a menace to themselves and others in this practice alone.

Not all car drivers think like this, unfortunately the large number of those who do are the ones who give those of us who stop at lights, thus giving them the oppertunity, an earful.:angry:

dondare

Über Member
User3143 said:
Like what? If they are not endangering someone (as mentioned in your previous post) then what's the problem?

It doesn't bother you to see someone doing something that could get someone else killed, and possibly get you killed on a later occasion if it goes unchecked?

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
What difference is there in the vehicle (and perceived risk) doing it?

RLJ'ing is not on, no matter what you ride/drive. What makes your journey deserved of being quicker than anyone elses?

Would you RLJ in a truck? No, because of the penalty upon being caught. So the only motivation for doing it on a bike is the chance of getting away with it?

dondare

Über Member
I'm sure that many of the regular posters on here will remember how a keen cyclist, actually a tandemist if that's the right word, died from injuries sustained from being knocked down on a crossing by an rljer.

Top Bottom