Votes: 7 3.7%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 57 30.2%
  • No

Votes: 112 59.3%
  • bring back hanging

Votes: 13 6.9%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I would guess because e-petitions don't work
biggrin.gif
I want proof goddamit :biggrin:

I want proof goddamit :biggrin:

12,000 epetitions, only one reaching the threshold 100,000 signatures and I bet nothing gets done about that. But since you don't believe statistics you will need to raise your own epetition so you can get proof from your own experience. Enjoy!

Bicycle

It's really not OK.

I've done it in the past and when still living in my birthplace (London) I was a frequent transgressor.

I no longer do it, but I can't use the 'holier than thou' gun as I hopped just about every light in the smoke for years.

Why it's not OK (in my eyes) is as follows:

1. It winds up other road users. This can generate more tension and resentment, neither of which mix well with 200 bhp and testosterone.

2. The light is red for a reason.

3. How much difference to your journey time will a couple of hopped lights really make? I worked in transport for years; caning it from London to Leeds and ignoring speed limits offers little time advantage over driving there within the limit and staying calm. You also arrive in better mental shape. I think the same comparison can be made between hopping reds and stopping for them.

It's not OK to hop reds, but people will always do it and some will try to justify it.

Ah sod it just tell everyone they only have to obey the laws they want to. After all it isn't illegal to ride/drive on the right is it?

If plod stop me for not having pedal reflectors on two of the fleet, almost certainly never going to happen, I won't plead ignorance. I won't try a smart arsed argument to show the law in an ass. I'll take what is coming to me.

RLJ'ing is illegal. RLJ'ing is unexpected, like suddenly deciding to ride/drive on the right. Unexpected behaviour in a shared road space is inconsiderate, selfish, uncivilised and anti-social. All of which adds up to a big heap of stupid. So there you have it...

RLJ'ing is stupid.

and stupid in a way that having no pedal reflectors ever can be.

Well said that man!

+1

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
It's really not OK.

I've done it in the past and when still living in my birthplace (London) I was a frequent transgressor.

I no longer do it, but I can't use the 'holier than thou' gun as I hopped just about every light in the smoke for years.

Why it's not OK (in my eyes) is as follows:

1. It winds up other road users. This can generate more tension and resentment, neither of which mix well with 200 bhp and testosterone.

2. The light is red for a reason.

3. How much difference to your journey time will a couple of hopped lights really make? I worked in transport for years; caning it from London to Leeds and ignoring speed limits offers little time advantage over driving there within the limit and staying calm. You also arrive in better mental shape. I think the same comparison can be made between hopping reds and stopping for them.

It's not OK to hop reds, but people will always do it and some will try to justify it.
Very well put indeed.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Cyclists must stop at red lights.Motorists must stop at red lights.

Motorists must not accuse all cyclists of being “red light-jumping scofflaws”.

Motorists must not labour under the delusion that no motorist ever jumps a red light.
Grammer For Motorists

BSRU

A Human Being
My opinion is that I do not jump red lights in a car, even when safe to do so, so why would I do something different on two wheels, I'm the same person.

In the end it's a personal choice whether to take the risk of being caught or the risk of being involved in a collision, personally I am never in such a rush that it is ever necessary.

RLJ's should always remember there is a hance they maybe seen by less competent cyclists who then may perceive RLJ'ing as OK.

apollo179

Oh be serious. I have a vast amount of compassion to any one / thing who/that deserves it. That does not cover people who choose to ignore or remain ignorant of basic road law.
As I have saie before the I didn't know excuse doesn't cut it. It is one of the excuses used by illegal off road motorbikers. So why not find out first!
The "i didnt know excuse" does cut it for other offences.
For example where you have turned right at a no right turn ; If you can establish that you didnt know because their was inadequate information you then you will get off it - many cases of bushes obscuring road signs testify to this where drivers hasve been cleared.
In the same way regarding cyclists and rljing. You could assert that since there is no legal requirement for cyclists to undergo training , education and testing before going on the road that it is entirely conceivable that a cyclist may be cycling without the knowledge that it is wrong to go through a red light.

John90

Über Member
If, as has been mooted, it is made legal for cyclists to go through red lights at a left turn in appropriate circumstances, is there anyone here who will still not do so?

martint235

Dog on a bike
The "i didnt know excuse" does cut it for other offences.
For example where you have turned right at a no right turn ; If you can establish that you didnt know because their was inadequate information you then you will get off it - many cases of bushes obscuring road signs testify to this where drivers hasve been cleared.
In the same way regarding cyclists and rljing. You could assert that since there is no legal requirement for cyclists to undergo training , education and testing before going on the road that it is entirely conceivable that a cyclist may be cycling without the knowledge that it is wrong to go through a red light.

Sorry but they really don't add up, in fact I'd go as far as to say it's complete b*****ks.

On most junctions you can turn right (where a right turn option is available), therefore you expect to be able to turn right. If a sign telling you that you cannot turn right is obscured, you can probably use that in mitigation.

At all red lights, you are expected to stop. Pleading ignorance that you didn't know this would not be accepted as mitigation.

Top Bottom