Votes: 7 3.7%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 57 30.2%
  • No

Votes: 112 59.3%
  • bring back hanging

Votes: 13 6.9%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
<AFS>Perhaps I should have put a smiley on it for you </AFS>.

No worried. I was a little stressed when I replied.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
The "i didnt know excuse" does cut it for other offences.
For example where you have turned right at a no right turn ; If you can establish that you didnt know because their was inadequate information you then you will get off it - many cases of bushes obscuring road signs testify to this where drivers hasve been cleared.
In the same way regarding cyclists and rljing. You could assert that since there is no legal requirement for cyclists to undergo training , education and testing before going on the road that it is entirely conceivable that a cyclist may be cycling without the knowledge that it is wrong to go through a red light.

There is a difference to being ignorant of the law and ignorant of a specific piece of signage. I know you know this.

John90

Über Member
If it is made legal and it safe to do so then yes.

You've been consistent on that Angelfishsolo. I suspect everyone would give the same answer and that therefore all the reasons for answering categorically 'no' to the topic question boil down to 'it's against the law'.

I have jumped lots of red lights today, cycled the wrong way down a one-way street alongside a cycling PCSO. Cycled past a 'no cycling' sign down a pedstrian precinct. In fact I tried to break as much of the highway code rules as possible.

Wonder when the next SkyRide is. :biggrin:

apollo179

I have jumped lots of red lights today, cycled the wrong way down a one-way street alongside a cycling PCSO. Cycled past a 'no cycling' sign down a pedstrian precinct. In fact I tried to break as much of the highway code rules as possible.

Wonder when the next SkyRide is. :biggrin:

I hope youve voted.

doogle84

My opinion is that I do not jump red lights in a car, even when safe to do so, so why would I do something different on two wheels, I'm the same person.

In the end it's a personal choice whether to take the risk of being caught or the risk of being involved in a collision, personally I am never in such a rush that it is ever necessary.

RLJ's should always remember there is a hance they maybe seen by less competent cyclists who then may perceive RLJ'ing as OK.

I have read up the various threads on RLJing out of mild interest (I don't actually come across any traffic lights on 99% of my rides), but I feel it's worth pointing out something which seems obvious to me and I haven't seen mentioned anywhere. For the record I'm firmly in the "no" camp, but could be convinced to move to the "yes" camp only when dealing with the 3am and quiet roads scenario (or clearly-pedestrian-free pelican crossings...).

When bringing up the argument "why not motorbikes/cars", there is an important advantage a cyclist has - his/her ears.

A driver or motorcyclist is cocooned in a world of road noise, engine noise, windows & doors or a helmet. However, we generate much less road or engine noise and hence have much more confidence over whether something is coming or not.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I have read up the various threads on RLJing out of mild interest (I don't actually come across any traffic lights on 99% of my rides), but I feel it's worth pointing out something which seems obvious to me and I haven't seen mentioned anywhere. For the record I'm firmly in the "no" camp, but could be convinced to move to the "yes" camp only when dealing with the 3am and quiet roads scenario (or clearly-pedestrian-free pelican crossings...).

When bringing up the argument "why not motorbikes/cars", there is an important advantage a cyclist has - his/her ears.

A driver or motorcyclist is cocooned in a world of road noise, engine noise, windows & doors or a helmet. However, we generate much less road or engine noise and hence have much more confidence over whether something is coming or not.

So cyclists do not suffer from the noise of other vehicles, wind noise or any other sounds do they?

Norm

Oooo... I can now feel this one transmogrifying from "the rlj thread" to "the headphones thread", just as it was going quiet. :biggrin:

doogle84

So cyclists do not suffer from the noise of other vehicles, wind noise or any other sounds do they?

Im referring to the 3am and dead roads scenario, and if you're going quickly enough to get significant wind noise I'd agree it's unsafe. If there's doubt, it's unsafe.

doogle84

If the roads are dead then surely it is safe for any vehicle to rlj?

I'm talking about how you reach the conclusion that the roads are dead, this is much easier when on a bike and able to hear approaching traffic and get much closer to the junction before deciding.

Admittedly, say there was no doubt that the roads were dead and I were in a car, I wouldn't be arguing that RLJing in this situation was acceptable. Why not? Maybe the perceived consequences to me (lose licence) and others around (can cause much more harm with a car than a bike) are worse?

abo

I clicked sometimes and I'll tell you why: I rolled up to some lights at a t-Junction on Friday which were red so I stopped. Waited for a while, lights didn't change. Car pulled up behind me, lights still didn't change. So I rode cautiously out into the junction, waited for a gap and rode off. The car behind did likewise.

I reckon it is ok when the lights clearly have a fault.

Top Bottom