Red Lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan B

Disengaged member
purplepolly said:
"Although failure to comply with the other rules of the Code will not, in itself, cause a person to be prosecuted, The Highway Code may be used in evidence in any court proceedings under the Traffic Acts (see 'The road user and the law') to establish liability. This includes rules which use advisory wording such as ‘should/should not’ or ‘do/do not’.
You are correct that this would be very relevant in the case of any court proceedings where liability hinged on whether a road user on an empty road indicated before changing lane, when there is nobody around who would benefit from the signal.

I'm relying on you to think of such a scenario, though, because I can't.

coruskate said:
Yes, it's going somewhere stupid.
Ha ha ha, now how could I not see the funny side of that.

What you say is right, I can't deny it.

Let me try to put it another way:

I think what I'm trying to say is that if we're all going to live by the law of the land, then I believe that should mean every law - otherwise you kind of undermine the whole framework.

I also just don't get why people jump lights, there's no doubt that it gives the pro motoring lobby ammunition - so why do it?

Downward

Guru
Looks like I am in trouble, I jump a Red light, have no rear or front reflectors or pedal reflectors.

I'll be expecting a visit from the local PC anytime soon.

thomas

the tank engine
User3143 said:
I think you may of misunderstood Coruskates post. He, or rather his instructor said there is no need to give a signal if it does not benefit anyone (and they are right)

+1...there's no point in doing it if you're paying attention and can see there is no one there ... however, people who don't signal off roundabouts when there are people there waiting to go :biggrin::laugh:!

Trevrev

Veteran
Downward said:
Looks like I am in trouble, I jump a Red light, have no rear or front reflectors or pedal reflectors.

I'll be expecting a visit from the local PC anytime soon.

OMG !!! You're in big big trouble on here now !!!
You shouldn't have said anything.........:biggrin:

....and mine.:biggrin:

simongrant

Pedal Reflectors

Four are required, coloured amber and marked BS6102/2 (or equivalent), positioned so that one is plainly visible to the front and another to the rear of each pedal.

Damn,i had better stop using my M520's at night:sad:

Dan B

Disengaged member
simongrant said:
Pedal Reflectors

Four are required, coloured amber and marked BS6102/2 (or equivalent), positioned so that one is plainly visible to the front and another to the rear of each pedal.

Damn,i had better stop using my M520's at night:sad:
... and anyone with a recumbent where the pedals are vertical not horizontal had better do likewise. Ditto users of front and/or rear panniers

Still, the law is the law. We have to obey all of it, we can't just pick and choose

simongrant

damn,i have rear panniers too,but they do have reflective strips/piping on them lol as do my overshoes

Simon

jimboalee

coruskate said:
... and anyone with a recumbent where the pedals are vertical not horizontal had better do likewise. Ditto users of front and/or rear panniers

Still, the law is the law. We have to obey all of it, we can't just pick and choose

My winter commute bike is 1982 vintage. I don't need pedal reflectors...
Yeehoo.

simongrant

Lucky you jimboalee,im just waiting for the holier than thou cyclist to post how im letting the entire cycling community down....:biggrin:

garrilla

Imagine if MrsFred saw you with your fancy pants pedals without reflectors, you can imagine the conversation

MrsFred: I say Fred, there's a cyclist down there with pedals that have been borrowed from a kitchen whisk

Fred: Oh, do they have amber refelectors back and front?

MrsFred: Nope, shocking these cyclists, they'll be the death of us all. Wait till Mary hears about this.

Cyclist: MrsFred, Its 5 am in the morning do you ever sleep?

Top Bottom