Red Lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

007fair

I (purposely)went through a red light yesteday
I usually stop but in this case the junction was not a cross road and the lights were red to let cars from a road on the right to join the road i was on. So for me to keep cycling did put me or anyone else in any danger nor stop or hamper any of the cars coming onto the raod from the right - ie no affect at all. Plus I was on a cycle lane to the road is quite wide.

Anyhow some guy in a Learner car (Diving instructor I suppose) was really annoyed by this and beeped his horn and gestured etc (which I returned in kind...)

Does anyone else ride through red lights depending on circumstance or is it always a no no?

IMO, if you want respect on the roads, you need to respect the laws of the road (i.e. highway code).

How much time did you save?

OP
OP
007fair

007fair

of course only a few minutes And I agree with you I suppose in regards to respect ... BUT sometimes it seems so pointless sitting there for no reason and you could go without affecting anyone.

Traffic lights are by definition there to organise traffic - otherwise there would be chaos
In many cases whether a bike is there or not would not make any difference

theboytaylor

OK, I'm going to take the bait.

Would you have done it in a car? Doubt it. If so, why do it why using another vehicle on the road (I use vehicle loosely - it's too early to think of the appropriate word)?

I'd say it's always a no-no. You say that "for me to keep cycling did [not?] put me or anyone else in any danger", which is something that gets trotted out again and again. The point is, it's not about whether you or for that matter anyone thinks there is no harm likely to come. The traffic lights are there so you don't have to use your own risk assessment skills at every junction. So, it's about what is expected at that point on the road. The road users at the other part of the junction who see a green light could quite rightly assume that they are able to proceed without anything coming from a different direction. If someone appears in their way then I'm not surprised they'd be a bit pissed off.

Yes, drivers claim that a disproportionate amount of cyclists run red lights, go on the pavements, etc, etc. Cyclists are on the whole better behaved than they are given credit for. But another driver has just been given another example he can cite when whingeing to their mates about cyclists. Well done.

theboytaylor

007fair said:
Traffic lights are by definition there to organise traffic - otherwise there would be chaos
In many cases whether a bike is there or not would not make any difference

Took so long putting my other piece together I only just saw this. The first bit that I've quoted above is precisely the point. Whether you like it or not, on your bike, on the road you are part of the traffic.

This is something that really annoys me because I think it's a crucial part of why some cyclists behave as they do - because they seem to regard themselves as part of some sort of "not-traffic" grouping who uses the roads but aren't beholden to the parts of the codes they don't like or find useful.

If you're part of the traffic, behave as part of the traffic and respect the traffic signals.

GrasB

Veteran
F**king twat! May the pu**ture fairy visit you on many occasions over the rest of the year & so you use up all your spare tubs on at least one ride a week. :birthday:

It's not about danger it's about the law. If you don't respect that then there's no hope for other road users to become more tolerant.

Grendel

Veteran
What of the policy of getting off, walking on the pavement, and then remounting at the other side of the junction?

As far as I can remember, the Highway Code promotes this as a safe way to negotiate busy roundabouts/ junctions, but I believe it does get on some motorists nerves, as much as red light jumpers.

007fair said:
of course only a few minutes And I agree with you I suppose in regards to respect ... BUT sometimes it seems so pointless sitting there for no reason and you could go without affecting anyone.

Interesting that you think waiting was pointless. You pointed out that you annoyed a car driver by what you did, therefore, you just confirmed to one driver that the stereotype image of cyclists running reds, being lawless and being a menace, is correct.

Therefore, I think you will agree, there is a good reason for waiting at the lights...

Guys,

Can I just ask that we be tolerant of the OP. He has at least had the decency of posting on here and asking what we think.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Jumping red lights is one of the main reasons cyclists are 'hated'. No need. Think of it as extra training, and a chance for a quick drink.

Had you come into contact with another road user, you would have been at fault - accident's happen, mitigate your losses by not being the fool.

stowie

Legendary Member
I generally do not jump lights - although I do frequently go past the stop line if a lorry or bus pulls behind - I think it makes me more visible. But I do agree that many lights for cycles are a bit pointless, mostly on T junctions where the council could easily implement a cycle bypass for the light, but don't bother presumably because it costs slightly more than just painting a white line.

I saw today a cyclist with a child on back waiting at pedestrian lights with a total wnaker edging his car forward past them. As soon as the lights changed he shot off leaving so little room that the cyclist t had to pull in and wait for him to pass. Both got stopped at the next red lights 30 yards down the road... In this case, I wouldn't be able to berate the cyclist if they jumped the light to get away from the idiot - I certainly would.

I don't like RLJing - I think it is actually more dangerous than those who do it think, and RLJing across pedestrian crossings is just rude. But I think local councils need to actually get off their backsides and make sure that cyclists are not hampered unnessarily and are safe at junctions.

BTW - at the moment, there is one set of lights I regularly jump, they are temporary lights at a junction and if I didn't, I would be mown down by traffic - the junction has a special cycle turn right light and lane, which doesn't work with the temporary lights. The pedestrian phase doesn't work either leaving most to run the guantlet of traffic. It has been like this for over a month. My local council is supposed to be one of the more "cycle friendly" ones. I can't begin to imagine how bad the others are...

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Grendel said:
What of the policy of getting off, walking on the pavement, and then remounting at the other side of the junction?

As far as I can remember, the Highway Code promotes this as a safe way to negotiate busy roundabouts/ junctions, but I believe it does get on some motorists nerves, as much as red light jumpers.

I have done it at busy junctions where I know the priority changes. To some it is seen as "cheating" but its safe and legal if you take the traffic into proper consideration.

downfader said:
I have done it at busy junctions where I know the priority changes. To some it is seen as "cheating" but its safe and legal if you take the traffic into proper consideration.

Also; some lights are on ferro-magnetic sensors that do not detect cycles - so you would be sat there all day until a large steel object i.e. a car pulls up.

Top Bottom