Rediscovering sledging as an adult

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We've had 2 sledges hanging in the shed since the kids were small - both virtually brand new, as they were bought to replace ones that cracked in the bottom because of mummy and daddy using them when they were really meant for kids, and ground that didn't have enough snow on it...
:shy:

In the intervening years, we seemed to get snow that either arived at the times when we were working or otherwise busy or which never hung around long enough for us to have time to use it.

Yesterday we (Mrs B and grown-up daughter) took the 'new' ones to one of the local parks that has big sweeping hills, and spent an hour behaving like kids again. No cold hands or feet. Some 'abandon' ship' manouvers needed occasionally to avoid collisions with other sledgers. Every so often an adult speeding sledger would overcook it rather and have to use the bushes along the bottom of the hill to stop themselves before they ran out of park!

Hot chocolate and mince pies to round off the morning.

Best laugh I've had in ages!:rolleyes:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
We were out yesterday... great fun!

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Bought a couple of sledges a few months ago in preparation for this year. Nothing as yet, but hopeful, for the kids of course!

When we bought them the guy that owns the toy shop said that they were made by a retired couple from Birmingham, apparently they bought the pressing equipment and set up as a small business to keep themselves occupied and earn a bit of pin money. With last year's snow they told him it was the hardest work they'd ever done in their lives as they couldn't knock the things out quick enough :smile:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
No snow here still.................

Sledging's great - bought two new ones on Saturdey as, like Beanz said, our other two have cracks in (one caused by my son's friend's dad).....

OP
OP
beanzontoast
Bought a couple of sledges a few months ago in preparation for this year. Nothing as yet, but hopeful, for the kids of course!

When we bought them the guy that owns the toy shop said that they were made by a retired couple from Birmingham, apparently they bought the pressing equipment and set up as a small business to keep themselves occupied and earn a bit of pin money. With last year's snow they told him it was the hardest work they'd ever done in their lives as they couldn't knock the things out quick enough :smile:

Must be difficult for sledge manufacturers to stop the business sliding from under them...

[IGMC :whistle: ]

Renard

Yesterday I was on one of those sledges which are not more than a tray under your bum with a handle which pulls up between your legs. There is no weight in them and can be secured on the outside of a rucksack. A great way to descend a hill quickly. Only thing is I have a very weird pattern of bruises on the front and back of my thighs which I am hiding from my missus in case she thinks I indulge in some strange form of R&R in my spare time :blush:

Yesterday I was on one of those sledges which are not more than a tray under your bum with a handle which pulls up between your legs. There is no weight in them and can be secured on the outside of a rucksack. A great way to descend a hill quickly. Only thing is I have a very weird pattern of bruises on the front and back of my thighs which I am hiding from my missus in case she thinks I indulge in some strange form of R&R in my spare time :blush:

claim it's your saddle and you need a new one for christmas!

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i thought this thread was about insulting australian batsmen…:whistle:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I was fed up of not having sledges (every time there was snow they always sold out), so in a gap in between snow earlier this year I went to a little hardware store that I'd been told had a secret stash. ... Then the difficult bit - how to get them home (yes did I mention I bought 3, 2 different types so they didn't stack!!), on the bike. Sort of managed to get the narrower taller ones sticking out of my pannier ... but it was difficult to get on the bike, and the other one I had in an Ikea bag slung on my shoulder.

I had comments from various drivers ... all joking/fun ... who gave me a wide berth on my way home, and used them once.

Roll on the next lot of snow... they need to be used properly! :smile:

Brains

Legendary Member
I still have my 10th Xmas present wooden sledge up in the attic.
It has been used at every oppotunity over the last 40 years.
Sledging is not something you grow out of, and I'll beat any kid down any hill to prove it !

Cubist

Still wavin'
My brother found a traditional wooden tobogggan at a church jumble sale and bought it for my twins. It's great, as we have a great sledging field next to the house. I managed to do what I usually do with toys and pick up fracture injury no 12 on it , (coccyx) a couple of years ago much to Mrs Cubes exasperation......
Anyway, I've just driven home through what can only be described as the most impressive snowfall since last year, and can confidently predict the kids won't be able to get to school, so the toboggan is coming out of the garage....!!!

I built myself a sled from steel tubing on Saturday morning, and yesterday I closed my workshop for the day so Lois and I could go sledding. We had loads of fun on some of the less imposing slopes around here and the dog thoroughly enjoyed chasing after us and lolloping through some of the drifts :biggrin:

Top Bottom