Reduced cost living - share your ideas?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Be comfortable at having less.

That is the best advice. I was earning around £20k p.a. in the late 1990s but I didn't feel particularly well off because I spent it almost as quickly as I earned it.

In 2022 as a pensioner on around £14k p.a., even with fuel prices shooting up and other inflation I should be able to save about £2k, and I feel very comfortable with that.

I'm in the middle of a house move but once settled there's a couple things I'm doing

1) Slow Cooker not oven. The new gaff doesn't have a oven, it's got a hob but everything else I'm slow cooking in bulk and freezing to eat later.

2) Wonky Veg boxes. I've found a couple of suppliers that do a subscription for veg boxes. It's a bit random what you get but I want to try it for a bit and see if it's cheaper.

3) Ebay and Freecycle. I've got a ton of stuff,and adding more, for sale on Ebay. Freecycle I'm going to be using a lot more to reuse stuff.

4) Secondhand Furniture. I don't need a lot of things immediately, but what I do I'll be checking the local thrift stores first.

We buy books, but 2nd hand now, not new.

I've actually rejoined my library recently, they won't have everything I want but it's a good place to start.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
No heating at all, turned it off last November, OK I am living in the south of England so that helps.
If it's cold in the evening I go to bed early and read or listen to music.
Turned the water temperature down so when having a shower only use the hot water.
Batch cooking, I have always done this.
No car after it getting written off last May.
All shopping done my trike and trailer.
Not had a telly/licence for years and really not miss it.
Food wise I buy what I like, I don't see the point buying low price products and not really enjoying it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Obvious one is ride to work. I decided, once we started going back into the office, to start cycle commuting again, much to the bosses concern (broken spine last time I commuted). I did it mainly for mental health - really hate sitting in a car for an hour to do 9 miles and cost £7 per day in fuel. Not quite broke even yet as I needed new tyres then new wheels on the old MTB (but would have needed wheels anyway).

Big one for us was the cost of the hot tub - once I worked it out, it is a silly expense. We now turn it down to it's lowest setting, have 'kingspan' insulation on top to retain heat and only turn it up when we decide to use it, once a week - not leave it running to temperature. You still need to have it ticking over - but that's just the filter motor.

Household heating's been adjusted to go off by 7pm, and not 9pm - we added loft boards about a year ago, and the added insulation is noticeable with heat retention.

Also using the oven less, unless we 'fill it' - we have an air fryer for smaller items, eg sausages etc.

Last edited:
TV Licence I've not needed for several years now, for £159/year its a lot of money and comparable to other subscription services. If I was trying to cut back I'd definitely cancel it if I hadn't already.

Yes I've not had a tv license for 4 years and don't miss it. My mother lives nearby who has a free tv licence and so anything I want to watch I can watch there but can watch itv, ch4 and ch5 programs on catchup services and use other free streaming services like youtube. The only thing I miss is live news services. What is annoying is I didn't ditch my TV licence years before. I don't subscribe to netflix or amazon prime either or anything like that but still can't keep up with all the stuff I would like to watch.

Yes I've not had a tv license for 4 years and don't miss it. My mother lives nearby who has a free tv licence and so anything I want to watch I can watch there but can watch itv, ch4 and ch5 programs on catchup services and use other free streaming services like youtube. The only thing I miss is live news services. What is annoying is I didn't ditch my TV licence years before. I don't subscribe to netflix or amazon prime either or anything like that but still can't keep up with all the stuff I would like to watch.

Amazon Prime is pretty good, I got mine on a work deal but I think I'd pay full price for it. Loads of films on there which is what I want mostly.Their own series have been pretty good, I'm looking forward to their Lord if the Rings when it comes out.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Prime, Disney and Netflix here, but we use it for stuff we want to watch and saves going out. The cost of the 3 pales into insignficance compared to SKY etc to watch football. We also do Prime Music, which we are using more and more - car and at the caravan.

We purchased another car late last year, a little 10 year old Aygo, for daughter/son to use etc, but I take that to do any shop runs locally as it uses significantly less fuel than my old car. Just took it down to Wales at our caravan, and it used next to no fuel compared to our bigger cars. Yes, it's nowhere near as comfy, bit noisy, hifi is rubbish, but it nipped into a space at Rhos on Sea. It got us there and back. I still prefer my big ole car, that will take 4 adults and 4 big MTB's on the roof, but that's it's job and why I've never got rid.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
People talk about using free WiFi but we never go anywhere with it. Or if they do, campsite on holiday, there is really poor connection such that mobile data is really the only option.

One year when son was very young our home broadband was so poor we all used my phone data on tethering. BT rewarded us with a £185 bill for the nearly a year of useless connection. Call bt and they simply said they could not do anything. Even switching to cable broadband was not possible because they only had 4 such connections in a street of 21 plus houses.

BTW that £185 bt broadband bill was per month!! When it came through I never dealt with BT again for 6 or more years. Then they became the cheapest and most reliable option in our area after moving house.

At the time my mobile provider suggested I could cut costs changing to a lower data option. Taptaptap, a whistle and the advice to stick with my tariff until they took it away from me. He said for people who use it the no limits data deal was a very good deal that they couldn't beat. It seems I was consistently using over 30GB of data a month. Well you would in a household that's mostly end up using my mobile data because BT or open reach don't give a flying rude word removed.

Even since moving I've had to use my mobile to call BT to set up direct debit payment when they screwed up and failed to set it up for incompetence reasons. I also used my moving because the house lost phone and broadband connection. Not through the unpaid bill I might add.

I'm not impressed with big businesses in the communications sector. Everywhere I've lived has had poor network coverage. Last place was in a small town but they didn't put in even half the number of fibre connections into cabinet for demand in most streets. Virgin moved into the area and skirted the town too. Small villages got better connections from BT than most of my old town. I wonder if the average value of housing has anything to do with it? I know rural gets everything last but why would a town with higher population density get things even later?

Sorry bit of a rant.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
People talk about using free WiFi but we never go anywhere with it. Or if they do, campsite on holiday, there is really poor connection such that mobile data is really the only option.

One year when son was very young our home broadband was so poor we all used my phone data on tethering. BT rewarded us with a £185 bill for the nearly a year of useless connection. Call bt and they simply said they could not do anything. Even switching to cable broadband was not possible because they only had 4 such connections in a street of 21 plus houses.

BTW that £185 bt broadband bill was per month!! When it came through I never dealt with BT again for 6 or more years. Then they became the cheapest and most reliable option in our area after moving house.

At the time my mobile provider suggested I could cut costs changing to a lower data option. Taptaptap, a whistle and the advice to stick with my tariff until they took it away from me. He said for people who use it the no limits data deal was a very good deal that they couldn't beat. It seems I was consistently using over 30GB of data a month. Well you would in a household that's mostly end up using my mobile data because BT or open reach don't give a flying rude word removed.

Even since moving I've had to use my mobile to call BT to set up direct debit payment when they screwed up and failed to set it up for incompetence reasons. I also used my moving because the house lost phone and broadband connection. Not through the unpaid bill I might add.

I'm not impressed with big businesses in the communications sector. Everywhere I've lived has had poor network coverage. Last place was in a small town but they didn't put in even half the number of fibre connections into cabinet for demand in most streets. Virgin moved into the area and skirted the town too. Small villages got better connections from BT than most of my old town. I wonder if the average value of housing has anything to do with it? I know rural gets everything last but why would a town with higher population density get things even later?

Sorry bit of a rant.

Phone data wise I have 4 phones on the sky basic contract with 2 GB a month, I always use more so I raid the "banked" data from the other 3 .compared to my old contracts I am basically getting one phone free

presta

Guru
Several people have mentioned eating fresh produce. It may be healthier but it's not cheaper, which is why the poor tend to eat less healthy diets. More here from CEDAR at Cambridge University, (full report here).
This is how the foodstuffs in my diet compare:
1650535637083.png

FSA NPS Info

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
One thing I learned in lockdown was buy cheap in bulk

This was because Mrs V was terrified to go out shoppping and (apart from Iceland) no supermarkets were delivering without a three week wait

I now buy shampoo in 5 litre bottles cheap off ebay and fill the smaller bottle up with it. I think I have two years supply of Dettol Soap too :laugh:

Several people have mentioned eating fresh produce. It may be healthier but it's not cheaper, which is why the poor tend to eat less healthy diets. More here from CEDAR at Cambridge University, (full report here).
This is how the foodstuffs in my diet compare:
View attachment 641077
FSA NPS Info

It is, and it isn't.

Quite often, it's down to a) knowing what to do with ingredients, b) the actual facilities to cook stuff and c) time to cook.

A lot of costs on some fruit and veg is down to the fact that they're flown in, especially tender and unseasonal stuff. I mean do we *really* need things like asparagus and strawberries in the depths of winter?

I mean take strawberries. Last summer, UK grown strawberries were £2 for a 400g punnet, and two punnets for £3 at the height of the season. Once the UK season is over, the strawberries stayed at £2, but the punnets shrunk to 227g (weird quantity I know, but that's what it was).

Never mind that the quality drops as well. Ergo I very rarely buy strawberries outside of April - September, except on yellow sticker. But if I can't smell them, I don't buy them, as so much of a strawberry's flavour is locked up in its aroma.

@mudsticks is right IMHO saying we need to eat more local and more seasonal.

As for meat, it isn't cheap, that's true. But going on general observation of what other people have in their trollies and what some of my cat fancy friends say, I think on the whole, people eat too much of it - above what the guidelines actually are.

When I cook a spag bol or a shepherds' pie, I'll use half meat, half green lentils. Mind, I love pulses, so it's no great hardship, and when it's all done in the crock pot, it's really hard to tell there are lentils in there.

Plus I rarely have a roast joint. I tend to cook a chicken, say, and then use that cooked meat in other things e.g. enchiladas, stir fries, curries and the like, where the meat is alongside other vegetables and pulses. It really does add extra mileage rather than just eating the meat "straight up".

Top Bottom