Reflective Clothing Psychology - Your Thoughts...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
MY CGR commuter/do it all, has;
- 4 x lights on the bars, 4 x on the rear (2 x seat-pin, 2 x seat-stays)
front & rear reflectors
- Reflective mud-flaps (f & r) coated with the same finish/reflectivity of the stripes of a hi-viz coat
- Schwalbe Marathons, with reflective sidewalls
- Spoke reflectors
- various blue & yellow bands on the frame (& some on my helmet too)
- 'snappies' used (ankle & wrists)

Once the clocks go back, & I'm finishing at 17:00, or 18:00, the '360' jacket will come out again
By that, I mean a fully coated jacket, mine's a Boardman, but it's the same coating as the Proviz items

View attachment 611173

View attachment 611171

View attachment 611170

View attachment 611174

View attachment 611172

Nice. low down reflective surface - the first thing a vehicle headlight catches, & they 'flash;, due to movement
View attachment 611177

View attachment 611179

And still I get cut up/close-passes/chumps who have GOT to be on that roundbout as I'm going round it :cursing::cursing:
Yeah, Rich, I think most would agree you're “Lit.” :laugh: I never saw reflective black before. That's cool! No reflective tape on those spinning cranks? You might not be seen. :blink:

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
Being colour-blind myself, I've been aware of the issues since a teenager:

but if the above is true, do you think we can see red rear LIGHTS? Or are they invisible to 5% of road users (along with red traffic lights).
Interesting points, Atticus and Ming (Santa?) My colorblind friend I mentioned before said green & red stoplights look about the same to him, I think he said the yellow looked grey.

It makes sense, Ming, that “It’s not about how it appears in day time but more when it reflects light at night.” FWIW, the red does look catchy too.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Interesting points, Atticus and Ming (Santa?) My colorblind friend I mentioned before said green & red stoplights look about the same to him, I think he said the yellow looked grey.

It makes sense, Ming, that “It’s not about how it appears in day time but more when it reflects light at night.” FWIW, the red does look catchy too.

We have a joke that Christmas gets earlier and earlier each year in the UK. Mostly because the stock and adverts often start to appear in October. Hence my avatar has been updated early for Christmas. I’ll be merciless again once Christmas is done

We have a joke that Christmas gets earlier and earlier each year in the UK. Mostly because the stock and adverts often start to appear in October.
/further-offtopic-diversion
It's kinda weird that this is happening in the same era that "proper " winter weather is coming later and later. Christmas Day is now around the start of the poorer weather (as well as the sign of days getting longer), and gets less snow than Easter Day does!

Front light, back light, reflector on rack works for me nothing else required.
Pedal reflectors make a huge impact at night.

I've seen many people riding with dim backlights or even better - the tail of their coat hanging down over the light - or a basket blocking the light.
People eh ?

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Hold your line in traffic, you have every right to be there. Incredibly unlikely they will run you down. If they cannot get by and the road
Pedal reflectors make a huge impact at night.

I've seen many people riding with dim backlights or even better - the tail of their coat hanging down over the light - or a basket blocking the light.
People eh ?
Seems a bit silly that someone wouldn't consider coats, baskets covering the lights. I have mine at the end of the rack where nothing can cover it. There are pedal reflectors too but covered by walking boots I'd think.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I've never thought about pedal reflectors to be honest until someone mentioned they were there. Riding is riding for me but sometimes it's dark and I put lights on. That is as much as I've thought on it in thirty plus years of riding a bike.

I've never thought about pedal reflectors to be honest until someone mentioned they were there. Riding is riding for me but sometimes it's dark and I put lights on. That is as much as I've thought on it in thirty plus years of riding a bike.

I've seen a bloke on a bike on an unlit dual carriageway at night from 100s of meters away.
He was all in black. No lights. But he did have proper reflectors. It was the only way I would have seen him in time.

Absolute disregard for his own life but the pedal reflectors were astonishingly good.

I'd never dream of riding a 70mph road like that with so little safety kit.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
What about reflective bands on tyre's ?

These are schwalbe marathons and they are reflective ok , sure won't help being seen from front or rear but sideways on .

Top Bottom