Reflective Clothing Psychology - Your Thoughts...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That diagram isn't really applicable to what a cyclist ought to wear during the hours of darkness since they'd be seen from a greater distance with proper lights (and/or reflectors) fitted. Good idea for walkers though.
I think l initially found it on a runners site/forum
It’s a good reminder though, concerning reflectivity

freiston

Veteran
Provides same reflective area as tyre reflective band but wears slower if at all. like this one
You got the edit in just before I hit the reply button - almost caught me out 😉
That's not what most people understand by "rim tape" - this is what I thought you meant. They really ought to come up with a different name for the reflective stuff :wacko:

richmace

Regular
Most of my commute is down dedicated cycle paths, so my main objective is to be seen by other cyclists and pedestrians.

I wear a reflective yellow coat and have a reflective yellow rucksack cover.

My bike has a red flashing light at the rear, and a white flashing light (pointing slightly downwards) at the front.

I do wish pedestrians would consider lights (some do), as a pedestrian wearing dark colours is virtually invisible on an unlit cycle path.

For me, I take the attitude of being seen.

I see flashing lights much more than static ones, and I prefer to see yellow or orange reflective clothing than white. Yellow is the standard hi-vis colour that we are all accustomed to.

I don’t like extremely bright front lights (especially pointing upwards) they make visibility difficult for oncoming bikes (can cause accidents). You only need just enough light to see the way (and to be seen).

I like the ideas of reflective areas on the bike, I will implement some of those ideas as they make perfect sense.

Reactions: C R

freiston

Veteran
My experience of flashing lights (especially front lights) is that as visible as they are, they "confuse" the situation, making it harder to work out what's what (for example, distance and speed). I often find the front ones uncomfortably bright and dazzling too, and hard not to get fixated on.

sasquath

You got the edit in just before I hit the reply button - almost caught me out 😉
That's not what most people understand by "rim tape" - this is what I thought you meant. They really ought to come up with a different name for the reflective stuff :wacko:
agree, my bad, rim tape for motorcyclist(modern cast wheels) means only one thing

My experience of flashing lights (especially front lights) is that as visible as they are, they "confuse" the situation, making it harder to work out what's what (for example, distance and speed). I often find the front ones uncomfortably bright and dazzling too, and hard not to get fixated on.
Flashing front light is meant to differentiate dim(by comparison) bike light from the background of car headlights, on cycle paths and empty country lanes serves no purpose.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Sorry, Classic, I don’t know but I will look into it and come back. I haven’t really used any reflectors since I was a kid. I feel much safer relying on lights, front and back. But I see there is quite a bit of support here and enthusiasm for reflectors. Something to consider.
Just wondering what the requirements were elsewhere.

I feel safer myself with lights fitted and working, as opposed to relying on reflectors/reflective materials on their own.

Top Bottom