Cycle shop experience - your thoughts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
And there's liability issues.

I lend you a tool, you slip and stick it through your finger and...by the power of Greyskull!!! It's compo time.

Even signing waivers before handing the tool over wouldn't necessarily protect the store.

It would be a pretty low move to borrow a tool from someone - then sue them when you bugger it up and hurt yourself

But here we are!!!

spuggy

I'd be happy with that though, pay for a small repair I'd not prepared for.

Is that a solution for LBSs? Put a small toolstation outside, I'd bet some of the people that stop would go in and buy something.

The Alpkit in Ambleside has a bike stand, tools and a pump outside

Big T

Guru
A club mate of mine, when a new cyclist, went into one of our LBS’s and was asking lots of questions about bikes in general. In the end, the shop owner got quite annoyed with him and asked if he was ever going to buy anything. Naturally, my club mate took his business elsewhere, where he ended up buying a top of the range Giant, plus all the kit to go with it (he wasn’t short of a few bob!). He never visited the first shop again.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I think it's a bit entitled to march into a shop with absolutely no intention to purchase and demand to borrow something.

If he was only a mile from home he should have walked anyway. Teach him to carry the right tools with him.

Sure it would have been nice if the shop happened to have a crap hex key lying around that they didn't mind losing to lend it to him. But maybe they didn't. I certainly wouldn't expect a workshop to loan out their tools.

In the same circs I might have asked for a loaner but if none was on offer I'd have taken it with good grace, faced the consequences on my own actions and bought the cheapest multi tool on offer. I certainly wouldn't have got upset with the shop about it, I'd have been annoyed with myself for not having tools with me.

Jameshow

Veteran
Agreed, Leigh at Ride It Cycles is brilliant. I must point out though that Bude is in Cornwall!

But where I stay is in Devon!🤣

The boundary does a funny left handed turn about a mile or two from where we stay, I guess as it's where the Tamar source ends or becomes other tributaries like Clifford water...

Drago

Legendary Member
I thought you meant Bude on the Moon.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I fear you are underestimating the tension between residents of both counties.

Bude being in Cornwall will matter a great deal to every Cornishman.

As a Devonian, I have never taken to those from the other side of the Tamar.

I don't even put cream on my scones, just butter and jam so you're both wrong! :laugh:

Top Bottom