Cycle shop experience - your thoughts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DogmaStu

I'd be avoiding that shop.

Back in Portugal, I use 2 LBS's, both excellent, both will sort me out with any work that needs doing quickly and immediate help for any stops for something during a ride.
I tried a 3rd one day to ask for an adjustment on a ride but I was refused - they were too busy, apparently. I was the only person in the shop. I never went there again.

Here in the UK, first shop I tried was good, but soooo expensive for labour so I bought all the tools I was missing to do all the servicing myself. Second shop also helpful when I needed a new valve on a ride. I have since purchased something from them.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Which shop Nick?

Mark Anthony Cycles

Jameshow

Veteran
I'd be avoiding that shop.

Back in Portugal, I use 2 LBS's, both excellent, both will sort me out with any work that needs doing quickly and immediate help for any stops for something during a ride.
I tried a 3rd one day to ask for an adjustment on a ride but I was refused - they were too busy, apparently. I was the only person in the shop. I never went there again.

Here in the UK, first shop I tried was good, but soooo expensive for labour so I bought all the tools I was missing to do all the servicing myself. Second shop also helpful when I needed a new valve on a ride. I have since purchased something from them.

Funny that I hardly use a shop at home preferring to DIY. But in Devon I'll pop into the little bike shop in Bude who are very helpful.. Must be the sea air!!!

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I’m sure that had they waited at side of road someone would have been along shortly and lent an Allen key. I usually ask stopped cyclists if they are okay as I pass.

Same her, I always ask if cyclists who look like they are in trouble need a hand.

John's Cycles in Barnet very helpful. Plenty of good advice is also given if asked for.

Reactions: C R

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I’m sure that had they waited at side of road someone would have been along shortly and lent an Allen key. I usually ask stopped cyclists if they are okay as I pass.

Surely any passing cyclist would have also cycled passed the OP @Proto as they were walking / pushing the bike and done so too...

....ergo there weren't any other cyclists, or those that passed were rude buggers and didn't ask.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Mark Anthony Cycles

They were miserable gits.

At my LBS small items, including tubes, come with the offer of a free fit.

I've done a few shifts there.

If a customer bought a tube as a spare I would certainly have lent him the track pump, if only in lieu of the free fit offer.

GuyBoden

Guru
In Malaga, Spain the Recyclo Bike Shop has a track pump chained up outside for customer use.

Recyclo Bike Shop Malaga.png

vickster

Legendary Member
In Malaga, Spain the Recyclo Bike Shop has a track pump chained up outside for customer use.

View attachment 701332

You can find those on the street here too, eg there’s one in Wimbledon. A local Tesco Express petrol station has a bike tool station as an example.
My LBS would never behave like that but I have/do spend a fair amount with them on servicing etc

You can find those on the street here too, eg there’s one in Wimbledon. A local Tesco Express petrol station has a bike tool station as an example.
My LBS would never behave like that but I have/do spend a fair amount with them on servicing etc

Unfortunately for me the ones I have seen locally have been vandalised and are not functional, all found at railway stations.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
There's a bike maintenance station at the retail park near me. It appeared a couple of years ago but the thumblever on the valve head has been broken for most of that time (so the pump is useless) and the tools are rusty as it's out in the open. No doubt the park management did it to tick a box.

Top Bottom