Cycle shop experience - your thoughts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Cyclist should have said he would like to purchase that tool but do they have a test-drive model that he could demo. Fix the puncture during the demo, even get the assistant to do the fixing, then proceed to purchase a brand new tool with a credit card and demand that the store pays cyclist 5% commission for using the credit card.

If they don't agree, goto McDonald's burger chain and get some chicken nuggets. Go back to shop and eat in front of assistant.

I take the same view as @Andy in Germany and do not lend anything I would be concerned about losing. Over the years I lost a lot of tools until I just got fed up with chasing people who had no concern about returning things and sometimes even denied I had loaned them anything.

It's not even malicious on occasion: people borrow something; genuinely put it in their pocket by mistake, then presumably feel too embarrassed to fez up.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Does it matter really if an allen key or a few go missing? I think this is preferable to the business losing £££ because its known for being mean and tight towards its customers. Business owners and staff need to look at the bigger picture here.

Does it matter really if an allen key or a few go missing? I think this is preferable to the business losing £££ because its known for being mean and tight towards its customers. Business owners and staff need to look at the bigger picture here.

Good, shop quality tools cost money; I've had enough of a fight getting those so I don't think my boss would be very happy if they went missing; I still use my own in some cases.

Of course if anyone would like to donate a set of hobbyist level tools I'm sure we could lend those out...

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
The only thing that really sets one bike shop apart from another is customer service.

I would happily go back and buy that multi tool at their closing down sale. I would also explain why they are closing down.

Jameshow

Veteran
I think he should have walked home it wasn't far.

Had I been further away I would have brought something and asked afterwards would you mind...

Drinks bottles and brake block are a good stocking filler if you don't really need to buy anything but feel you ought too.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Good, shop quality tools cost money; I've had enough of a fight getting those so I don't think my boss would be very happy if they went missing; I still use my own in some cases.

Of course if anyone would like to donate a set of hobbyist level tools I'm sure we could lend those out...

You get get them for very little from Ebay.. I'm not talking about expensive good quality tools, more something cheap that people can just use in an emergency. I suppose the shop worker will have plenty of time to play with his multi tool when hes signing on.

You get get them for very little from Ebay.. I'm not talking about expensive good quality tools, more something cheap that people can just use in an emergency. I suppose the shop worker will have plenty of time to play with his multi tool when hes signing on.

Fair enough, as I said, we're a charity so If someone wants to donate cheap "Lending" tools I can send our address. I'll also let them know when the tools have vanished so they can donate a replacement.

In my case my clients have been signing on for at least two years to be working with me. ETA: The "big picture" in this situation is that the money spent on a set of loaner tools can be used for an end of month food loan, which I appreciate isn't part of a normal shop's considerations.

Last edited:
A cheap allen key would be no problem - but the ones the LBS uses on a day-to-day basis are far more expensive for obvious reasons

also - they, if the one I know is anything to go by, not justa short bit of hexaginal steel bent near one end - the are longer and have a proper handle. They are also all the same make etc and often fit on a wall so everyone knows where they are

Loosing one would be like loosing a socket from you favourite socket set.

Top Bottom