Reflectors and lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rickbourne

Regular
Hi, what is the the legalities of lights and reflectors on bikes in the UK ?
Are reflectors compulsory?
Or is it just personal choice?
thanx :smile:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Not the first time it's been asked. :thumbsup:
HERE
HERE
HERE
HERE
HERE

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Confession: The past winter, I have been riding with two front and two rear lights, but no front or rear reflectors or wheel reflectors. After reading the CTC post, I will not be making this mistake again.

Anyone else wish to fess up to removing all the legal stuff on their road bike and not putting it back for Winter (or lighting up times) ?

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Anyone else wish to fess up to removing all the legal stuff on their road bike and not putting it back for Winter (or lighting up times) ?
I dont have any relectors on my bike.
I have 2 rear and 2 front lights, plus reflective material on my shoes, clothes, helmet and pannier bag. If someone wants to pull me up on that then be my guest, but I see loads on cyclists in London with very poor lights so I wont be top of anyones hit list.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Rear reflector is built into number one back light
Pedal reflectors are built into XT T780 pedals

All other plastic crap was removed and tossed within minutes of taking ownership of the bike.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
This is the important bit for me: Lights (and reflectors) are required on a pedal cycle only between sunset and sunrise.
As I don't ride in the dark, no reflectors. Actually neither of my 2 recent bikes came with any anyway. I carry 'emergency' lighting just in case, and a good rear light, and use a flashing red in poor light conditions - including areas of deep shade on sunny days.

I currently have front and rear lights and a decent sized reflector on the back of the bike, but no pedal reflectors or front reflector. Am I REALLY likely to incur the wrath of the law?

What are people finding out in the real world?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I currently have front and rear lights and a decent sized reflector on the back of the bike, but no pedal reflectors or front reflector. Am I REALLY likely to incur the wrath of the law?

What are people finding out in the real world?

You are more likely to have an elephant drop out of the sky on to your head.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I dont have any relectors on my bike.
I have 2 rear and 2 front lights, plus reflective material on my shoes, clothes, helmet and pannier bag. If someone wants to pull me up on that then be my guest, but I see loads on cyclists in London with very poor lights so I wont be top of anyones hit list.

This, with an added crappy light always attached to my helmet (handy in the rain this morning as visibility wasn't great). I'm not sure if A530's or DMR V12's can take reflectors, I've not even bothered to look, but as my shoes and my socks both have reflective material on them I'm not overly worried about not showing bobbing shiny things when riding. It'd have to be a serious quota seeking jobsworth to pull me over considering where I sit in the pecking order of London cyclists...

djb1971

Legendary Member
Tourer-rear reflector on the mudguard, reflective mudguards, reflective mudflap, a few 3m spoke thingies and front/rear pedal reflectors.

Carbon-none of the above because they won't fit and look crap.

The only thing I will say about reflectives (mainly the pedals) is that I'm given more room on the road and not as many close passes, coincidence?

Top Bottom