REFLEX VANQUISH help please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

golfather1

Hi everyone
i am a newby here & like loads of other people i am getting fedup with my car & paying stupid money for petrol.

so i decided to buy a second hand bike, now the problem is i have no idea about bikes & one of my friend selling his old bike which he only used twice for fun & now he want to sell it.

the bike called REFLEX VANQUISH he said he paid £300 for this & i can have this for £130, i have seen the bike its in excellent condition & hardly used. Now can anyone help me please if £130 is right price for this bike & is this a good make ;).

please help me choosing right bike for life

here is the picture

thank you
sal

zimzum42

Legendary Member
What are you planning to do with the bike?

If you are going to be riding mainly on the road, then this is not a good bike for you. If you are planning on riding mainly down hills and along rough tracks, then this could be a good buy, but for riding to the shops and riding to work, it's really not a good idea.....

OP
OP
G

golfather1

zimzum42 said:
What are you planning to do with the bike?

If you are going to be riding mainly on the road, then this is not a good bike for you. If you are planning on riding mainly down hills and along rough tracks, then this could be a good buy, but for riding to the shops and riding to work, it's really not a good idea.....

Thank you for quick reply
I only want to use this bike for 3 miles to my friend house then we are car sharing from there.
& few odd days in park if the weather is right.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
it will get you there, no problem with that, but if you decide you like cycling, you'll soon want to get rid of that bike, it will be quite heavy, and you don't really need the fancy suspension. For the same money, you could get yourself a simpler, better bike.

But having said that, if you can't be bothered to search for a different bike, it's not a bad deal.....

Wait to see what other people say, but I reckon you would do better having a look for something else before going for this deal....

OP
OP
G

golfather1

zimzum42 said:
it will get you there, no problem with that, but if you decide you like cycling, you'll soon want to get rid of that bike, it will be quite heavy, and you don't really need the fancy suspension. For the same money, you could get yourself a simpler, better bike.

But having said that, if you can't be bothered to search for a different bike, it's not a bad deal.....

Wait to see what other people say, but I reckon you would do better having a look for something else before going for this deal....

Thank you for your suggestion
but what do you recommend & how much I am looking to spend?

OP
OP
G

golfather1

punkypossum said:
Or spend a bit more and go for a carrera subway from Halfrauds for £199... if you do get into cycling (chances are you will), then you will want to get rid of that reflex pretty soon!

is Reflex is not good brand?

what is the diffrence between HYBRID & mountain bike ?

cheers mate

golfather1 said:

Any full suspension bike for £300 tends to be a bad idea, very heavy, undampened suspension, cheap components, etc....

As I said, the subway 1 might suit you (and it looks less "outdated" than the other one suggested ;))

danny121

+1 to that bike being a bad idea for commuting - it'll be heavy, slow, and the suspension won't be all that effective on a dual-suss at that price - that's the voice of experience talking, years ago I tried riding a cheap dual-suss bike, gave up after 6 months, really bad for roads.

Also +1 to the Carrera Subway - I put about 9000 miles on mine with no mechanical failures (usual wear on tyres and the occasional punc* though) before it got nicked, really good bike at that price - but the boys in the shop tend to be useless at setting up bikes so you'll likely have to adjust the brakes, derailleur, and go over every bolt on the bike to make sure it's tightened up (again experience talking).

T'be honest though, if you're only ever going to go 3 miles each way, you could get away with pretty much any bike, it's just a case of finding one that you actually like riding. A Hybrid (half-way between a racer and a mountain bike) like the Subway is probably best really. Don't forget to look in your local free-ads, check on eBay, etc, can pick up decent bikes for very little that way.

OP
OP
G

golfather1

I am going to halfords tonight to see what's on ffer then i will let you know guys.

i am from Birmingham does anyone know good places for bike

Please if anyone out there with more comments dont be shy.

again thank you very much for your advise

RedBike

what is the diffrence between HYBRID & mountain bike ?

Errrm, to put it politely no.
It is a MTB 'look a like'. It can't actually be used off road and it will ride like a pile of crap on the roads.

Hybrids can be thought of as road friendly MTBs. They have narrower quicker rolling tyres, higher gears and are lighter.

RedBike

I am going to halfords tonight to see what's on ffer then i will let you know guys.

i am from Birmingham does anyone know good places for bike

Probably not Halfords.
Some branches are quite good while others are just terrible. It seems to be a bit pot luck, Basically it all depends if they actually have someone working there who knows their 'onions'.

As posted up before the Subway is quite good.
If you get any free accessories pick up a set of sks mud-guards and a pannier rack. Not fashionable but definately worth having!

Top Bottom