REFLEX VANQUISH help please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Hi golfather1 - and welcome to the world of cycling, the forum, the freedom of 2 wheels, the wind in your hair ..... :biggrin:

Anyway, there are many wise voices on here, so I'm sure you'll be steered in the right direction.

For a start, the CTC website is a good place for helping you to work out what sort of bike you need/want for the type of riding you intend to do. There's a link here.

Everyone here will add this caution:
Once started, you'll get hooked and will always want a faster/morecomfortable/lighter/moretouringorientated/more offroad ... the list goes on ;)

I re-started cycling about 10 years ago and bought a hybrid, for commuting, using on cycle paths, roads and a bit of gentle off-road. The bike I bought (Specialized Crossroads) is great for that ... but could I go faster ?
So I bought an ancient Peugot racer (1980's with drop bars) for a fiver - and it's been the best £5 I've ever spent ... and now I want to do more sportives, longer distances etc etc .... so I'm on the lookout for something else ;).

I know you want to start riding NOW and not wait till next week but my ha'porth would be to be patient, read the advice given here, save as many pennies as you can - then get the right bike for you and for what you want to do.

Here endeth the lesson !
Happy hunting and let us know how you get on.

OP
OP
G

golfather1

scoosh said:
Hi golfather1 - and welcome to the world of cycling, the forum, the freedom of 2 wheels, the wind in your hair ..... :tongue:

Anyway, there are many wise voices on here, so I'm sure you'll be steered in the right direction.

For a start, the CTC website is a good place for helping you to work out what sort of bike you need/want for the type of riding you intend to do. There's a link here.

Everyone here will add this caution:
Once started, you'll get hooked and will always want a faster/morecomfortable/lighter/moretouringorientated/more offroad ... the list goes on :biggrin:

I re-started cycling about 10 years ago and bought a hybrid, for commuting, using on cycle paths, roads and a bit of gentle off-road. The bike I bought (Specialized Crossroads) is great for that ... but could I go faster ?
So I bought an ancient Peugot racer (1980's with drop bars) for a fiver - and it's been the best £5 I've ever spent ... and now I want to do more sportives, longer distances etc etc .... so I'm on the lookout for something else :biggrin:.

I know you want to start riding NOW and not wait till next week but my ha'porth would be to be patient, read the advice given here, save as many pennies as you can - then get the right bike for you and for what you want to do.

Here endeth the lesson !
Happy hunting and let us know how you get on.

Excellent advise thank you

yeah you are right i should wait & listen to you guys

thats why i am taking a decision NOT to buy REFELX ;)

but i got really small budget so be nice with me ;)

OP
OP
G

golfather1

Hello again
i did't get chance to go to halfords, but i have been looking on internet
& i got another question for you guys

what is the diffrence between 18" 20" & 22" is this to do with the person hight? or i can just buy any size ?

thank you

golfather1 said:
Hello again
i did't get chance to go to halfords, but i have been looking on internet
& i got another question for you guys

what is the diffrence between 18" 20" & 22" is this to do with the person hight? or i can just buy any size ?

thank you

It's the frame size, measured along the seat tube in inches...which frame size you need will depend on your inside leg length, but also on your overall height and torso and arm length as they will determine how far you need to stretch to get to the bars... For example, I'm 5"11.5 and the 20" subway fits me, but everyone is different, so yes, you are best of trying them out...Problem with Hellfrauds is the only test ride you are likely to get is along the shop floor....

Night Train

Maker of Things
For spending little money and for riding short distances anything will do that as has been said.
The problem with the Reflex, or any similar bike, is that you will expend a lot of your hard earned energy on bouncing the thing up and down as you pedal, that reduces the amount of energy left for going forwards. It will then make an already heavy bike feel even heavier to ride.

I got a front suspension bike 7 years ago just to ease the shock loading on my wrists. I have since picked up, from freecycle a full suspension bike, the sort that sells for £100, and an old, battered, rigid diamond frame (DF) bike with straight bars. The old wreck turned out to be a really nice ride while the other feels more like riding a space hopper!

I also suspect the old steel DF to be lighter then my aluminium framed front suspension bike so it will be serviced, tidied and used more.

OP
OP
G

golfather1

Just came from BIKE pro racing (kings heath) excellent guy very help full
he is got good range of GIANT i like 2 from there one is M6 model & M8 both are nice & good quality.

OP
OP
G

golfather1

i have seen soo many makes i am getting cunfused now,

can any one advise me 5 best makes in road bikes.

i know 3 makes i like GIANT,BIANCHI & RIDGEBACK.

again thanks to everyone

Mortiroloboy

punkypossum said:
Or spend a bit more and go for a carrera subway from Halfrauds for £199... if you do get into cycling (chances are you will), then you will want to get rid of that reflex pretty soon!

Second the carrera, it's not often you can recommend Hellfrauds, but their subway range is unbeatable VFM.

If your mate paid £300 for the reflex, then the shop he bought it from obviously had a very big window, cos the shop owner must have seen him coming from miles away;) it's probably only (just) worth the £130 he now asks. Offer him £100.

OP
OP
G

golfather1

User259iroloboy said:
Second the carrera, it's not often you can recommend Hellfrauds, but their subway range is unbeatable VFM.

If your mate paid £300 for the reflex, then the shop he bought it from obviously had a very big window, cos the shop owner must have seen him coming from miles away;) it's probably only (just) worth the £130 he now asks. Offer him £100.

Reflex is out from my list & after seeing GIANT this morning carrera is out as well very poor quality.

but thanks for your advise

Top Bottom