Regular once per rotation 'tick' when pedalling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Over the weekend my bike had acquired a regular once-per-rotation of the pedals longish 'tick' - it always happens in the same place, when the right crank is at the bottom of the rotation, and disappears when I stop pedalling.

Could this be the (cartridge) bb bearings? Anything else to consider?

Grasen

could be the front derailleur is touching the crank

byegad

Legendary Member
Try checking the pedals and cranks for tightness. Last time I had this it was a pedal coming unscrewed! Given I really tighten em this was a surprise. However after re-tightening it never moved again.

OP
OP
beanzontoast
could be a few things even keys in your pocket.

Aye - have had that one before more on more than one occasion! What a relief it is too when you discover it's not a mechanical after all! :laugh:

Will be interesting to see if the noise has gone on my commute home. I was carrying keys and my mobile in a 'bumbag' today, but the sound seemed to be coming from the crank area. I'll be quite happy if it does turn out to be my keys after all...

gavintc

Guru
You may already have checked and discounted this. But, it is worth checking whether the cable end from the front derailleur has been bent sideways to touch the pedal. It can make an annoying tick.

gbb

Legendary Member
Assuming you have laces, make sure its not a flappy lace tapping the crank each rev. Had it happen to me....

Davidc

Guru
First thing I look at if I get that is the able (gavintc, post #8) and the next is pedals. Repacking the bearings generally stops them.

Top Bottom