Regulations on Bridleways....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I complained about this sign years ago but never heard back from the officer...

View attachment 680458
They owners of the property obviously didn't like having a public footpath through their garden... :whistle:

They're leaving themselves wide open to being sued, as they're acknowledging that they have a vicious animal that is not under control. They're liable to make it worse for themselves if they claim it's a guard dog, as they need to comply with the appropriate legislation for guard dogs.

It's made all the worse as it is clearly public land. They could even be guilty of fly posting.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It's made all the worse as it is clearly public land. They could even be guilty of fly posting.
It crosses the garden of a modern house built at the side of fields. They obviously built the property on land which had a footpath crossing it. I assume that planning permission was given but that the builders were told that the right of way had to be preserved. The owners were clearly trying to put people off using that right!

There is an old property in Hebden Bridge which has a public footpath going down the side of the house then straight across the back garden and out of a gate on the far side. I walked with a friend along the path once and the owner was tending her garden as we passed. My friend apologised for walking across the woman's lawn. She replied that we had every right to cross and they had been told that by their solicitor when they bought the house... Exactly!

Alex321

Veteran
They're leaving themselves wide open to being sued, as they're acknowledging that they have a vicious animal that is not under control. They're liable to make it worse for themselves if they claim it's a guard dog, as they need to comply with the appropriate legislation for guard dogs.

Why do you think it likely to be public land, never mind "clearly" public land.

Very few public footpaths run on public land. We had one running through our grounds in the last house we owned.

I have a public footpath running down my drive. I like it when walkers go past, they've chosen to spend a day of their holiday/ weekend coming here and I can just walk out of my door. I feel very lucky.
Whereas my next door neighbours hate them going past. It's a funny old world.

Bake some cakes and get some drinks in for the summer months and you'll be quids in !

pawl

Legendary Member
I would contact the local council They may have rights of way officer who could advise.

I contacted my local authority regarding an obstructed foot path.Barbed wire was strung across the gate and the gate was padlocked The farmer was served a notice to remove the obstruction within seven days or face prosecution and charged with the cost of removing the obstruction.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Some councils publish their definitive maps online (I know Oxfordshire and West Berkshire do). Although the online version is not strictly definitive, it is as close to it as possible without visiting the council premises and asking to see the paper version. Whilst OS maps are generally very accurate, I'll always go to the definitive map for ultimate reassurance of where I should or shouldn't be.

Top Bottom