REKA action cam from Aldi-worth a punt as a cycle cam?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This action cam currently being sold as one of Aldi's special buys.

At £29.99 it seems like it may be worth a punt for use as a cycle cam- it has a handle mount. Unsure if this means handle bar mount?

Only 1mp cam.

There are no reviews on Aldi's site yet.

I am planning on buying a wide angle lense Mobius cam at around £65 for my cycling safety, so naturally this has caught my attenton.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/reka-hd-acti...d-id=4DA9F9CBF6DBB3715CBCD1BF2302C3E62A4E2624

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
£29.99 is cheap enough to take a chance. It will have twelve months warranty too.

Tangoup51

I've bought a bundle of £30.00 Cheap helmet cameras in my time, they're all mass-produced by the same generic manufacture then people pay said manufacture to engrave their "company logo" into the camera. the cameras stay the same aslong as the price does, despite who has their brand logo slapped on the camera.

(Forgive the lens scratch and the motion blur)
-
30 1.PNG

30 2.PNG
30 3.PNG
30 4.PNG
30 5.PNG
30 6.PNG
30 8.PNG
30 9.PNG
30 10.PNG
30 13.PNG

(runs at 1 hour 30 minute battery life @ 1080p with battery well worn in)

Here's a few pics from my camera over the years. All the same, Cheap, Generic Helmet camera (the ones that look like yours)
I believe the quality is out-standing in terms of the price.

They often suffer with red lights (Red light bleeding is a common on my camera) and the camera 'cage' reflects in the upper left corner.

Outside of that, the quality depends on 2 things. Where you mount it.
(vibrations on the handlebars can damage clarity as it does in the last photo, unlike the helmet.)

Your settings. All the cameras I have had at this price range heavily depend on setting adjustment so make sure you balance it right. These pictures have the best settings for each scenario.

Also for the OP while it's not strictly relevant it's worth mentioning wide-angle lens tend to distort speed perception and make it slower than it actually is. :whistle:

Also
@goodgabba I believe that's the bike you're after in the last photo ;)

Last edited:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
The website shows a handlebar mount as included. I found that sort very wobbly.

I prefer to use these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00FS7WOFY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They offer a good variety of mounting positions and can put the camera clear of cables etc.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
This action cam currently being sold as one of Aldi's special buys.

At £29.99 it seems like it may be worth a punt for use as a cycle cam- it has a handle mount. Unsure if this means handle bar mount?

Only 1mp cam.

There are no reviews on Aldi's site yet.

I am planning on buying a wide angle lense Mobius cam at around £65 for my cycling safety, so naturally this has caught my attenton.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/reka-hd-acti...d-id=4DA9F9CBF6DBB3715CBCD1BF2302C3E62A4E2624

I bought the ALDI rear light camera, very pleased with it. My general experience of ALDI "gear" is positive. I also have a Mobius camera, excellent bit of kit.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Take a look on Amazon for the Apeman 1080p action cam. Was around £40 but comes with lots of brackets and attachments. I got one for Christmas - to be fair I've only used it in the house but both the video and audio came out really well. I think the photo capture is also much higher than the 1MP ALDI one. They also do a 4k model but I wouldn't benefit from such a thing.

Top Bottom