REKA action cam from Aldi-worth a punt as a cycle cam?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
If January wasn't the skintest month of the year, I'd have snapped one of these up... there's a stack of them in the shop at the moment but i doubt they'll last until payday :sad:

I don't want to encourage you to overspend, but.......

You could buy it online, and pay with PayPal, pay after delivery, that gives you a delay of about two weeks, to actually find the money.....

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I don't want to encourage you to overspend, but.......

You could buy it online, and pay with PayPal, pay after delivery, that gives you a delay of about two weeks, to actually find the money.....
there's still one in store... not sure if i want it or not now. There's a strong chance it'll be yet another £30 gadget i hardly use.

aegis

To get this back on track, I've had a first ride with mine. I had to get hold of a handlebar mount as the included mount doesn't fit 31.8 bars.

IMHO it's not suitable for cycling. The frame rate at 1080p and at 720p is awful. The file says it's 30 frames per second but it looks like it's taking 10 frames a second and just filling in the other 20 with copies. It's very choppy. Aardman make smoother movies. If you drop down to 640x480, it's smooth but then you can't read number plates.

Audio is not great. Lots of buzzing and wind noise.

So, mine is going back to Aldi. Pity. Their rear camera has been doing sterling service on the back for months.

Gibbo88

Just bought one of these for 21.99, the handle bar mount is not brilliant on my orange due to handle bar getting wider towards the stem. Due to this I found that the tightening screws were difficult to use due to the cables from the brakes etc. I have not used it for a ride yet so not sure in terms of footage quality.

Alex

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Not exactly the best quality video footage @1080p...

Looks more like somewhere between 480 and 720p.

If you pay a little more on top. you can get some proper 1080p or 4k action cameras off amazon. I would rather pay the extra for a Yi or Yi Lite action camera. The Yi lite is currently £90 but i picked mine up for £60 when it was on promo and its ALWAYS on promo or lightning deal! Sadly i sent it back because there was no video flip or rotation function to record the right way up when the camera itself was mounted upside down.

The standard Yi is currently £52.99 but again ALWAYS on offer, It will either be on Promo or lightning deal and you can snag it for around £40-45 if not lower... Ive seen it as low as around £30 when it was on promo.

Currently using an ELECAM REXSO Explorer 4k which was purchased off Gearbest during a flash sale for £66... Now its £103 :ohmy::ohmy: crikey!!

If you dont need 4k. There are some amazingly good value cameras to be had on amazon with video footage even better than this video here. I spent a month or two researching action cameras so send me a PM if you find something you like off amazon or ebay and i'll tell you if its good for the money.

The current hype with Action Cameras currently is '4K' and loads of manufacturers are pushing out these 'fake 4k' cameras that record at 4k but technically dont as the image is either upscaled from 720p or 1080p depending on the chipset used.

Feel free to fire me a PM

Top Bottom