REKA action cam from Aldi-worth a punt as a cycle cam?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
ha ha yeah. tbf in the uk you lens usually has something splashed on it whatever camera you buy ^_^

the camera operator?? Yeah. Hes normally drunk

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
@night cycler The Yi action camera is currently on promo on amazon for £35

and heres an older but good review of said camera -- since the review was made back in 2015. Id say the firmware has had plenty of time to mature and get all the bugs ironed out as well as tweaking the quality of the footage etc etc.

If you compare it to the camera footage i posted in #48 you will see that it is by far superior.... if you didn't pick up the reka from aldi. Now is the best time to pick up something good and definitely value for money

The sensor in the Reka is a 3mp sensor made by some chinese company with the model number 'GC1034'. The Yi is running a 16MP Sony Exmor R image sensor and/or 16MP Panasonic CMOS image sensor

Of course the only caveat (or not depending on your personal attitude to buying things online....) here as a previous member has mentioned that you'll have to wait to take delivery of said item or go collect it from an amazon locker and having to take the time out of your day to return it should something go wrong with it or you decide that youre not getting on with it very well.

----

I would have considered getting one myself if i hadnt already purchased my 4k one.

You can buy generic accessory kits/packs for cheap on amazon if you want to get more mounts and other gubbins to enhance your ability to record stuff If you do decide you want to make the most of the camera and take it with you on holiday.

If you wish to use it on your bike handlebar. you can find one on amazon or go with a cheap chinese knock off from ebay -- I use a cheap chinese made out-in-front K-edge knock off that i bought for a few quid off ebay. saved me at least £25! Most cheap generic accessory kits will come with their own crappy handlebar mount (not the out in front one) and a helmet strap so you can mount it on your helmet if you wear one or should want to.

If you have any questions on where to get things for your camera or anything else regarding it, feel free to PM me.

::EDIT::

Do note that this camera is only 1080p and it is very surprising the the Yi Lite i spoke of earlier in the thread wasnt added to the promo.
Either way that would of been closer to around £60 (and probably beyond your budget) but it would of offered 4k recording. which for that price it is a steal.

1080p is still more than plenty though so long as the hardware that make up the camera itself is of a decent spec.

::EDIT 2::

Well it was £35 at time of posting....Promo has expired.

Last edited:

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
Kitvision HD5W £27.50 at ASDA (in store only) 1080p recording at 30 fps or 720p at 60fps Battery lasts about 80 mins, spare battery can be bought from the Vodafone store on ebay for £4.99 delivered. You need some longer M5 screws for oversized bars.

31123243_10156422134756177_7463065744830365696_n.jpg

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
It's ok on smooth roads and cycle paths. The bike is set-up with 700x50 (29er) Schwalbe Century road tyres running 50 psi

I've only bought it because I've had 3 near misses with trucks pulling out on me in the last 3 weeks, which is more than I've had in the last 3 years.

I didn't want to try the helmet mount through fear of it being embedded in my skull in the event of a crash.

Wobbly John

Veteran
Local Aldi had the Reka action cams reduced to £4.99 including 8GB card today - I bought both of the ones my local store (Ely) had, as the case can replace the broken one on the better spec camera I currently run.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Absolute steal for that price. Id go as far as saying they'd probably be worth a punt even at £10 each. Anything higher than that they you may as well hit amazon for the Yi cameras -- they actually went on promo again last week.

Tony1981

Hi, I recently purchased this as a used item (in extremely good condition) and have found it to be a superb no frills equivalent of the high end offerings on the market such as the go pro. With the right settings, battery life is approximately 2 1/2 hours uninterrupted video recording time at its lowest setting and just over 1 1/2 hours at full HD. But the battery is removable and replaceable meaning a couple of fully charged spares can be obtained for around £15!!!!! And a spare class 10 memory card will only set you back around 8 or 9 quid so you'll have all the battery life and storage space you'll most probably need and some!!!! The video quality on all three video modes is more than adequate as is the sound pick up. I was terribly surprised that such a low budget action cam could pack such a punch. Added to all of this, it comes with a vast array of mounting options which fit every possible need

Can't praise the Reka 82026 enough

Tony1981

It's ok on smooth roads and cycle paths. The bike is set-up with 700x50 (29er) Schwalbe Century road tyres running 50 psi

I've only bought it because I've had 3 near misses with trucks pulling out on me in the last 3 weeks, which is more than I've had in the last 3 years.

I didn't want to try the helmet mount through fear of it being embedded in my skull in the event of a crash.

Tony1981

Yeah as with anything like this cam, I don't think the plastic housing would withstand a brutal knock like dropping off a high curb at speed, especially where the bottom meets the bracket for the handlebar mount. But the same applies to just about anything, just take it steady and avoid jolts. It's a great little piece of kit though and like you I, I bought it because of c***s pulling out at roundabouts or just swerving across in front of me.

Kitvision HD5W £27.50 at ASDA (in store only) 1080p recording at 30 fps or 720p at 60fps Battery lasts about 80 mins, spare battery can be bought from the Vodafone store on ebay for £4.99 delivered. You need some longer M5 screws for oversized bars.

View attachment 406725

What are the recordings like. I wont be uploading anything to youtube or anything like that but I have a couple of cycling holidays next year and would like to record some of the climbs i do to get me through winter 2019 on the turbo!

Top Bottom