"Remember this. Don't miss it."

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
...I thought as I clawed my way back from the corner shop with a small tub of single cream, a pot of yoghurt and a white loaf, into a vicious wind driving a bitter, sleety rain. Not many drivers on the road, some clearly 'in the Christmas spirit', idiot driving everywhere. I used to commute on the bike and I miss it still. But, I thought as I struggled, I don't miss riding on nights like this...

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I popped out a bit back for a pint of milk from the local Polish shop (manned by an nice Asian couple) and saw a woman battering on the shutters of the local Aldi yelling "open up you b@****** I need some food". I watched her for a while, it was quiet out apart from her. Her daughter (I assume daughter as smaller than her, younger and female) was pulling her away. The woman then got in to her shiney BMW and weaved around the car park a bit before weaving up the road. I didn't bother calling the police as a panda car came through the lights as she made it on to the road. Pretty lights.

I did feel like going for a ride a bit back, but I've changed my mind now.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
interesting innit.

I think nothing of commuting 100+ miles a week in the worst of winter, but the last few days been off work and couldn't be arsed to go for a leisure ride.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
interesting innit.

I think nothing of commuting 100+ miles a week in the worst of winter, but the last few days been off work and couldn't be arsed to go for a leisure ride.

I think nothing of commuting 150 miles per week in my car but the last few days off work and I couldn't be arsed to go for a leisure drive.

It's not that different or remarkable is it?

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I think nothing of commuting 150 miles per week in my car but the last few days off work and I couldn't be arsed to go for a leisure drive.

It's not that different or remarkable is it?

it is remarkable. it shows how adaptable and resilient we are when we 'have to' do something.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
It is unremarkable. it shows how adaptable and resilient we are when our income depends upon us having to do something.
If it's so unremarkable, then why don't more people ride bicycles? I'll never understand why so many people are so addicted to using cars that they'll spend ridiculous amounts of money on them, and spend big chunks of every day looking at the rear bumper of stopped cars in front of them. Given how much anti-cyclist prejudice there is in the world, I think it's remarkable that we have any cyclists.

Yes, I know, that sounds pretty cynical, but I had a depressing last few days.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
If it's so unremarkable, then why don't more people ride bicycles? I'll never understand why so many people are so addicted to using cars that they'll spend ridiculous amounts of money on them, and spend big chunks of every day looking at the rear bumper of stopped cars in front of them. Given how much anti-cyclist prejudice there is in the world, I think it's remarkable that we have any cyclists.

Yes, I know, that sounds pretty cynical, but I had a depressing last few days.

Here in the UK, there's a noticeable growth in the number of cycling commuters but I wouldn't consider electing to cycle through all weathers to work and not electing to ride for pleasure as a remarkable event. It is no different to other commuters electing not to use their chosen mode of transport for leisure on their days off.

It smacks of auto-evangelicism i.e. convincing oneself that a self chosen utilitarian course of action is a remarkable thing. It's not. It's mundane.

A bicycle is an unremarkable mode of transport as are other modes of transport be they on foot, by train or bus. Now if the motorist had a one mile commute, the cyclist had a ninety mile commute, the pedestrian had a thirty mile commute and the bus and train users had to use four buses/train per leg of the journey then they would be commutes that I would consider as being remarkable.

Top Bottom