Removing a threaded headset - without tools?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hubgearfreak

Über Member
Rhythm Thief said:
Special tools may make the job easier, but they're rarely absolutely necessary.

you're right there. we've all seen films where people escape from POW camps either by tunnel or by air with little more than a teaspoon. if you got enough ingenuity, resourcefulness and intelligence you only need a swiss army knife and a rock to mend anything:thumbsup:

Dave5N said:
anyone who suggests otherwise is a fool.

i'm not going to disagree with you on that score:laugh:

bonj2

Rhythm Thief said:
I'd go with Steve and use a bit of wood and a copper mallet. I've drifted out countless headset races (aluminium and steel) like this and never had a problem reusing them. They can be replaced by using the same hammer and two blocks of wood.
Special tools may make the job easier, but they're rarely absolutely necessary.

a COPPER mallett?:smile: :biggrin: who the bloody hell in god's name possesses a copper mallett?
surely copper is the last thing you'd make a mallett out of.

Care for a rhenium mallett? That's what you want to be using. That's what today's malletteers are switching to. Copper's old hat my friend!`

llllllll

bonj said:
a COPPER mallett?:smile: :biggrin: who the bloody hell in god's name possesses a copper mallett?

I've got one, used for knocking spinners off car wheels without damaging the chrome.

Dave5N

Über Member
bonj said:
a COPPER mallett?:smile: :sad: who the bloody hell in god's name possesses a copper mallett?
surely copper is the last thing you'd make a mallett out of.

Care for a rhenium mallett? That's what you want to be using. That's what today's malletteers are switching to. Copper's old hat my friend!`

Standard police issue in the West Midlands force.

tyred

Legendary Member
Copper mallets are used to hit things you wouldn't want to damage with a steel hammer. An underused tool IMO.

Top Bottom