Removing a threaded headset - without tools?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SilverSurfer

I've got a frame that I'd like to powdercoat but I need to get it totally stripped down first.

Is there any way of removing the headset without a special tool? Not bothered about destroying the headset as I will be replacing it.

Angle grinder ??

Big old screwdriver, jam it against the inside edge of the headset and frickin hit it. Hard. Do the same on the opposite side, repeat. After a few whacks it'll fly out and smash a window. Flip the frame and do the next cup.

It helps immensely if you have a bike workstand.

And mind your fingers.

No there's a special tool which spreads the impact force over the whole edge of the headset cup. The batter it with a screw driver method can wreck a steel headset and will wreck an aloonyman one.

bonj2

you can remove the forks from the headset using an adjustable spanner and that can certainly be done without damaging even the headset.
Knocking the cups out: ideally you want to apply the force all the way round at the same time, for which you really need a headset remover.
You can probably knock them out using a hammer and a file or a screwdriver or something, but you will only be knocking at one point on the circumference of the cup at once, which might cause ovalising of the headtube if you're not careful. You could risk it and have a go, but I'd personally just get the tool. It's a good idea to adopt the philosophy that if you need a tool for a job, you get it.

02GF74

Über Member
^^^^ what he said but use a tube that fits just inside the head set and head tube e.g. an old set of forks is ideal (bicycle forks as opposed to cuttlery).

tap each side so it comes out square and shouldn;t damage the headset inserts.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Yuo don't need a specific tool to remove headsets. a length of wooden broom handle is my tool of choice. and it you can damage a metal headset or a frame with this method, then you should seek the supervision of an adult to help you.

hubgearfreak

Über Member
bonj said:
You can probably knock them out using a hammer and a file

files are made of hard and consequently brittle metal. never use one as a drift or lever, it may shatter everywhere including into your eyeballs.

using a hammer and screwdriver, tap it out gently - but working around the entire thing bit by bit. it'll come out a doddle

Big John

Guru
Headsets aren't my forté but I've laughed like a drain at some of the comments. I particularly liked the one about breaking a window. Nice one! :tongue:

I'd go with Steve and use a bit of wood and a copper mallet. I've drifted out countless headset races (aluminium and steel) like this and never had a problem reusing them. They can be replaced by using the same hammer and two blocks of wood.
Special tools may make the job easier, but they're rarely absolutely necessary.

Top Bottom