Removing FSA chainset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grellboy

Über Member
20180825_164606.jpg
Got a newish chainset being delivered so thought I would remove the current one in good time. Apparently you turn Allen key anti clockwise, so tried this and got some movement (approx 1 whole turn) but then it locks up again. Same if I go clockwise. Also, rather disconcertingly, the Allen key slides the whole way in up to it's hilt, which means it almost touches the other crank. I'm not experienced with this at all, but I didn't expect it to go all the way through. Anyone got any experience removing FSA cranks? It's Bb30 on Omega chainset btw. I say apparently u turn anti c because that's what youtube vids all say, yet if you look at the crank there is an anti c pointing arrow right next to the word "tighten?

Attachments

• 20180825_164618.jpg
    20180825_164618.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 58
  • 20180825_170613.jpg
    20180825_170613.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

JhnBssll

Veteran
They're self extracting - The bolt will loosen at first and then go tight again as you described. Put a bit more pressure on when it goes tight again and it'll start to pull the crank off :okay:

Make sure you take the chain off of the rings before you attempt the extraction. Get that wrong and the self extractor will round off, and then you’re screwed. There is a little arrow on the surround with the dimples on it, turn it in the indicated direction.

OP
OP
grellboy

grellboy

Über Member
Haha! Yeah. It's just grass. As an aside, I often feel a little hesitant when posting pics of my bike on here, inevitably awaiting comments of the "I don't think much of your maintenance routine" variety!

JhnBssll

Veteran
Haha! Yeah. It's just grass. As an aside, I often feel a little hesitant when posting pics of my bike on here, inevitably awaiting comments of the "I don't think much of your maintenance routine" variety!

:laugh::laugh: Bikes are for riding, who cares if it's got clumps of grass stuck to it :laugh:

Actually I'd have cleaned it off but I can totally see why others don't. I enjoy the maintenance side as much as the riding which most would find odd :laugh:

Anyway, did you get the crank arm off? :okay:

OP
OP
grellboy

grellboy

Über Member
:laugh::laugh: Bikes are for riding, who cares if it's got clumps of grass stuck to it :laugh:

Actually I'd have cleaned it off but I can totally see why others don't. I enjoy the maintenance side as much as the riding which most would find odd :laugh:

Anyway, did you get the crank arm off? :okay:
Er .....yes I did manage to remove it.....unfortunately whilst I was 2 miles into a 50 mile ride!! Obviously must have loosened it more than I realised! Still, could have been 25 miles into the ride and that really would have been annoying. Incidentally, I can now confirm it is possible to ride with just one crank, if you have clipless pedals!
20180828_095535.jpg

OP
OP
grellboy

grellboy

Über Member
I know this is small get compared to what some fellow CCers can do, but today I (so far) successfully removed and replaced the chain, the chainset, the jockey wheels and the cassette. I also adjusted the front mech and tightened the cones on rear wheel. My most productive ever day in the workshop! (Back garden!)
20180903_142529.jpg

Top Bottom