Removing Graphics from Seatpost

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by Heltor Chasca, 27 Dec 2018.

Tags:
  1. Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca Out-Riding the Black Dog

Maybe not mechanics or repairs in the purest sense, but what is the best way to remove the graphics in the seatpost without damaging the black coating? It scratches off with age, but I’m looking for a more professional approach.

The Flamingo Extraordinaire stays.

BA170385-8244-4537-818F-1B1168AAA9D0.jpeg

DCBassman likes this.
  2. glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist Charming but somewhat feckless

Paint over it?
    Might be easier than trying to remove the unwanted graphics without damaging the black finish.

Heltor Chasca likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Heltor Chasca

I have just tried using my fingernail and that does remove graphics. Can’t be too permanent. Would fine wire wool be an option?

4. DCBassman

DCBassman Veteran

0000 grade wire wool, then, and take more time. Do not touch the flamingo!
    :biggrin:

5. Drago

Drago Flouncing Nobber

Rubber gloves, rub on some brake fluid with a cloth. Itll melt the screen printing before the paint. As soon as you're finished wash the post thoroughly in soapy water to remove every trade of the brake fluid.

mickle, DCBassman and Heltor Chasca like this.
  6. NorthernDave

NorthernDave Never used Über Member

If it's a sticker, use a hair dryer to melt the glue, lift off and then just clean off any residue.

7. glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist Charming but somewhat feckless

First test an area of the post that's normally hidden. However, if a fingernail can take it off I'd favour something less abrasive than steel wool, like a stiff plastic implement with a sharp edge.

Blue Hills and Heltor Chasca like this.
  8. Specialeyes

Specialeyes Über Member

I use Nitromors fairly regularly (usually to take modern logos off retro-looking parts). If the post is anodised rather than painted it'll make it a lot easier, as the graphic will come away while the black coating will remain. Test it first though :okay:

9. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

With that saddle I wouldn't worry about a few graphics on the seatpost.

10. OP
    OP
    Heltor Chasca

Luckily for you (and even luckier for me) that saddle is a test item. SMP’s ploy to stop it being nicked or perhaps a marketing ploy so people ask you about the monstrosity you're sitting on.

ColinJ likes this.
  11. JhnBssll

JhnBssll Über Member

Hard to tell for sure but looks like it's tampo printed - if you can get hold of some Hexane that might do the trick. Its a fairly potent solvent so works well for an accelerated wear test, we use it at work to test all our printed components and labels. Wet a rag with it and rub, if it's going to work it will start to come away pretty quickly.

12. Threevok

Threevok President of the Not From Brazil party

I wondered about that.

I've owned a few Selle SMPs and never came across a variant called "4Test" before :laugh:

13. I like Skol

I like Skol Hold my beer and watch this....

IPA might do it and not touch the black (That's not Indian Pale Ale!). If not then try Cellulose thinners.

Both should be tried in an inconspicuous area (like the end of the seatpost that is hidden inside the frame) to make sure it doesn't just float off whatever the black coating is (probably ok if the post is anodised black?).

14. Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph" A kilogrammicaly challenged woman Moderator

If it's starting to come off already, try accelerating the process by washing the seatpost in warm water.
    I wanted to remove some branding wheel decals from black rims, with a bit of care they came off in one bit, did not need the hot water.

Blue Hills and Heltor Chasca like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice