Removing Graphics from Seatpost

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Maybe not mechanics or repairs in the purest sense, but what is the best way to remove the graphics in the seatpost without damaging the black coating? It scratches off with age, but I’m looking for a more professional approach.

The Flamingo Extraordinaire stays.

BA170385-8244-4537-818F-1B1168AAA9D0.jpeg

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Paint over it?
Might be easier than trying to remove the unwanted graphics without damaging the black finish.

I use Nitromors fairly regularly (usually to take modern logos off retro-looking parts). If the post is anodised rather than painted it'll make it a lot easier, as the graphic will come away while the black coating will remain. Test it first though :okay:

JhnBssll

Veteran
Hard to tell for sure but looks like it's tampo printed - if you can get hold of some Hexane that might do the trick. Its a fairly potent solvent so works well for an accelerated wear test, we use it at work to test all our printed components and labels. Wet a rag with it and rub, if it's going to work it will start to come away pretty quickly.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
IPA might do it and not touch the black (That's not Indian Pale Ale!). If not then try Cellulose thinners.

Both should be tried in an inconspicuous area (like the end of the seatpost that is hidden inside the frame) to make sure it doesn't just float off whatever the black coating is (probably ok if the post is anodised black?).

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I have just tried using my fingernail and that does remove graphics. Can’t be too permanent. Would fine wire wool be an option?
If it's starting to come off already, try accelerating the process by washing the seatpost in warm water.
I wanted to remove some branding wheel decals from black rims, with a bit of care they came off in one bit, did not need the hot water.

Top Bottom