Removing Graphics from Seatpost

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
How to stop the aluminium alloy seat post from oxidising?

Not so smug now am I? :whistle:

I have greased the seatpost as usual, but in all honesty I was admiring the finish so much I didn’t give oxidisation much thought. Hmmm.

What would you suggest for a bare, light, deep forged alloy?

Stuck my head in at the LIM (Local Iron Mongers) He has suggested just bog standard Silvio cleaner. He says it will leave a microscopic film on the SP which will slow up the oxidisation. Obviously, each time I clean the bike, I’ll reapply.

What do you think?

OP
OP
Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Firstly apologies for the poor quality images. It’s a dull day and the candlelight at Chez HC doesn’t help. Anyway. I wonder if I can get some advice from any Selle SMP owners.

Two part question: Firstly, take note of the elliptical, lightweight reflective logo on the saddle. Nice isn’t it? It is attached to two black, plastic brackets, screwed into the base mould of the saddle. Trouble is, it cuts into two different saddle bags that I use. As far as I can make out, only the brackets hold the rails in place, and as the rails run in a continuous loop, it looks like it is the rails that provide the strength. Question: If I cut away the logo which is in the way, do you think it would affect the structural integrity of the saddle? At most, it seems it maybe could keep the rails from springing together.
6C35B32B-C196-41EB-857A-A15EFFFF09EE.jpeg

Here is the second photo, showing the shiny, aluminium finish which I still need to work out how to somehow coat. Question 2: Although there is an Ortlieb bracket attached here, I also like using My Carradice Burley. Although the Sportsman support fits on the saddle, there are no saddle loops like you find on a Brooks. On a Selle SMP how do I get round this. I know Carradice sell little adapters, but will they even work on a SMP which have continuous rails as shown above?
1FD4EAED-5BE7-43BA-A8DE-34FB1983351E.jpeg

Thank you as always.

Top Bottom