Removing Graphics from Seatpost

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I seem to be one of a few here who rather like the graphics on components. In fact when choosing my handlebar stem I picked the one with the nicest looking logo.

OP
OP
Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Nothing I had would remove the logo without giving the post a silvery gleam. So I’ve got the Hammerite out. Used that to refurbish a 1940s sledge and it never even came off the runners. Applied. Now the bike weighs a ton. Would have preferred spray paint, but needs must and all that.

Thanks all.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Nothing I had would remove the logo without giving the post a silvery gleam. So I’ve got the Hammerite out. Used that to refurbish a 1940s sledge and it never even came off the runners. Applied. Now the bike weighs a ton. Would have preferred spray paint, but needs must and all that.

Thanks all.

Ah, and I was just about to suggest a sponge with a plastic scourer.

OP
OP
Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Well fate made some decisions for me. Either the paint didn’t go off properly or it wouldn’t key onto the existing surface because after a hammering of about 410 km in two days, I was experiencing saddle slip.

I took the post out today and found that the paint had rucked up like a miniature carpet. That’ll never do. Saddle off and fittings removed. Using a combination of wet and dry, abrasive paste and very fine wire wool, I removed all the black paint. Old and new.

An hour later of elbow grease and I now own a shiny, silver seatpost. At first it was too mirror-like, so I ‘brushed’ it up a bit to match the titanium frame of the bike. It is one shade brighter than the bike, but to the untrained eye, you would never know. Over £100 for a real one. Faux titanium seat post: £20 with the fine angle adjustment fittings on Deda RSx02 posts that are my preference anyway.

It looks mint. Sneaky huh?

Top Bottom