Removing milk from your diet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Levo-Lon

Levo-Lon

Guru
I drink gallons of milk, so no chance.

I used too to, loved a pint of it when grafting.

I wont give up milk as i like it too much, just wondered if it was a neccesary in a healthy diet.
I eat well, 5 a day every day, protien and avoid all sugar where a spoon is concerned and absolutely avoid these bloody sweetners.
Caffeine might be a better bet, I'm drinking Red Bush tea atm and have cut coffee right down.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
All of us were brought up on milk as it is the first thing you drink when you are born. What better proof do you need that it is good for you? I love milk and dairy products so I will carry on with it.

tyred

Legendary Member
I wonder too if it is necessary in your diet.

I don't drink tea or coffee so don't add it to that. I used to drink a lot of milk on it's own for most of my life but stopped doing it during my first proper weight-loss attempt. I still had milk on cereal but in the past 18 months, I switched to having porridge rather than pre-bought cereals and I make my porridge without milk. I also never liked cheese, do eat yoghurts but only occasionally. My only real dairy intake nowadays is a little butter.

I feel great but am I inadvertently storing up major health problems for the future by eating very little dairy?

D

Deleted member 1258

I only have milk on my morning bowl of cereal, I have my tea and coffee black. I don't eat cheese or yogert and just have a smear of butter on sandwiches and batches.

vickster

Legendary Member
All of us were brought up on milk as it is the first thing you drink when you are born. What better proof do you need that it is good for you? I love milk and dairy products so I will carry on with it.
Not cows milk though...a non dairy variety is the norm...breast or non dairy formula

That said I too drink plenty of the stuff...and my doctor is in favour for the calcium it provides, saves me taking yet another pill

Last edited:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I stopped milk in tea and coffee nearly 20 years ago, when I discovered I had high cholesterol. Been taking statins ever since, and since then have had better chol levels than Johnny Public. So I drink milk/eat cheese etc as much as I want, but I've never gone back to milk in tea or coffee. Prefer them black.

OP
OP
Levo-Lon

Levo-Lon

Guru

Cows milk is somewhat different tho.. But i take your point, i was bottle fed as a baby as it happens.

OP
OP
Levo-Lon

Levo-Lon

Guru
I cut back a lot of my dairy to fight a mild bout of IBS and carried on with a reduced level since but give it up entirely ? Not when there is so many cheeses to explore !

I have UC, my wife suffers with IBS, milk doesn't cause problems for me, but she drinks a lot for calcium, graves disease and other health problems.
She often says i cant have that as it will set the IBS off, i often think it's probably the milk, i know my place:laugh: so i dont try to tell her otherwise anymore :smile:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Dark green leafy veg such as kale and broccoli have lots of available calcium.

Unfortunately spinach not so much.

Whole Soya beans do too.

Much of Asia can't digest dairy at all.
It's something we in the West have evolved our gut biome to do.

They get their calcium from above sources.

And don't forget fish like sardines, whitebait, etc where you crunch up the bones. Lots of calcium in there.

Nettles - such as are coming through green and lush right now, are also a very good source of calcium.

They make a really nice soup with a bit of sautéed onion leek, potato, carrot, etc, plus veg stock, then whizzed up with one if those hand blender wand thingies.

Even nicer with grated cheese on top.

But you can get this stuff called engevita, from wholefood shops which makes a good soup topping.

Looks like fish food, but is actually yeast flakes.. Tastes quite nice and cheesey, and has all the B vitamins that some folks on vegan / restricted diets struggle to get.

Top Bottom