Removing pedals - is this as simple as it looks?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all - I have a Raleigh Motus ebike and as I ride it on Canal paths a lot it gets dirty - especially in winter

I can take the wheels off easily and clean the chain and gears - but the front cog is a problem as I can;t get to most of it. The Chain guard needs to be removed to get to it and the pedals are in the way
Soooooo
Looking at it (pickies below) it looks like getting a bigger Allen key should allow me to remove the pedals - something I have never done before (only been riding bikes since about 1970!)
And clearly there is a motor involved
Is this as simple as it looks (I know one has a left hand screw thread - doesn;t it??? - but if I try it will I find it is more involved than that
and will I need any special tools to do anything I will need to do???

advise appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

pickies below
???????

But no. Easy. Remember LH pedal is LH thread. Ergo it unscrews the wrong way.

Pedals will either have a flat that spanners will fit on or an Allen key fitting in the end of the axle. Piccies will help.

Arguably the easiest job on the bike.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Except they can get very, very tight and the bike freewheels when you're trying to undo them (left or right).

A proper long pedal spanner or a 3/8" ratchet drive with allen key bit will make things easier. It is nearly impossible with a normal-sized 6mm allen key. More upmarket pedals take an 8mm allen key, and you stand a better chance with one of those, because they're longer.

You will need a foot on the pedal to stop the cranks turning while you undo the pedal. This is one case where a fixed-wheel bike is much easier!

The left pedal has the left-hand thread.

Except they can get very, very tight and the bike freewheels when you're trying to undo them (left or right).

A proper long pedal spanner or a 3/8" ratchet drive with allen key bit will make things easier. It is nearly impossible with a normal-sized 6mm allen key. More upmarket pedals take an 8mm allen key, and you stand a better chance with one of those, because they're longer.

You will need a foot on the pedal to stop the cranks turning while you undo the pedal. This is one case where a fixed-wheel bike is much easier!

The left pedal has the left-hand thread.
Agreed. But, as ever, with the right tools no job is impossible. If OP doesn't want to buy the tools then let LBS do the job and consider their charge as a rental fee for the tools. In the long run it's always better (and cheaper) to have your own tools.

Ajax Bay

Guru
What make/model of pedals are they? I'd give it a simple try with an allen key but wouldn't 'push' it.
Using any flats is better (with the correct spanner) than using an allen key (normally 8mm iirc): much better purchase if they are a bit stuck. Top of spanner moves to the rear.

battered

Guru
Leave the chain guard on, soften up any grease with paraffin or petrol on a bush. Then spray it with some cleaner, give it a brush, rinse. Job done.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
As said by others they can be very tight. I once had to use a 4ft extension tube to get them moving after being put on by some heavy handed mechanic at an LBS.

Dan77

The right brushes and some degreaser should do the trick rather than disassembling it.

If you do take pedals off though make sure to regrease them before putting back on.

DRM

Guru
An easy way to remember the correct way to remove the pedals is the phrase “back off” ie unscrew them, both sides, to the rear of the bike, and put a smear of grease on the threads when reassembling them

Ajax Bay

Guru
if it’s upside down the pedals still come off to the rear of the bike
Have another think about that. Trust in Dave.
I don't recommend trying to shift pedals with the bike upside down. The right way up and the BB shell firmly supported is the optimum set up (but shift chain to the highest gear). Crank at 2 o'clock, spanner at 9 o'clock (right side, chain in large ring). Crank at 10 o'clock, spanner at 2 o'clock (left side).

Last edited:

kynikos

Veteran
Best way to remember the threading is to turn the spanner towards the back of the bike to unscrew on both sides.

So, for example, to remove the left hand pedal:

Spanner in vertical position, open end pointing upwards. Turning spanner towards back of bike = clockwise.

OR

Spanner in vertical position, open end pointing downwards. Turning spanner towards back of bike = anti-clockwise.

:wacko:

Top Bottom