Removing Pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This :

[QUOTE 5043467, member: 9609"]despite what others have said, removing the pedals is not always simple or easy, if they have been on for a long time and used on winter roads they can be extremely difficult to remove. You really should try and remove them a month or so in advance, then if they are stuck you have time to take it into an LBS and get them to remove then refit. Once they have been off and refitted (preferably with a antiseize grease) then you should be able to take them off with few problems. But be under no illusions when they are seized they can be a nightmare to take off.[/QUOTE]

And this :

pedals and seatpost - remove or adjust at least once every 6 months. Use a proper pedal spanner, cover hand with rag to save knuckles and don't overtighten

tyred

Legendary Member
I favour a hard whack with a hammer when something doesn't want to unscrew. The shock is often all it needs.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I favour a hard whack with a hammer when something doesn't want to unscrew. The shock is often all it needs.
Agreed

I agree. It's surprising how few things refuse to budge after a tap on the spanner end with a 7lb copper-nosed mallet! Just double check you're hitting it in the right direction!

I take it that's what the Sledgehammer in @User9609 's post is for though it does look a tad 'excessive' to me. :ohmy:

iluvmybike

Über Member
[QUOTE 5044241, member: 9609"]and when they are really stuck you need something a little longer than a standard spanner
View attachment 383394

push front wheel into an unmovable object, then stand on pedal when pushing down on bar, if this don't work you have problems
View attachment 383395 [/QUOTE]
And careful not to put yuor back out doing that too!!!

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Also worth remembering that if you look at the crank from the other side eg when looking into the allen key socket on the other side of the crank clockwise becomes anticlockwise. Ony a complete idiot would ever confuse themselves in this way. So you should all be safe.

I once converted a cheapo allen key into a minature barber's pole before realising my mistake.
- just remember @Mo1959's earlier advice , Back Off

mmmmartin

Random geezer
I like that! I've always used "Right is right, left is wrong", but yours is neater.
i remember it by the fact that if you want the pedals on the bike to make the bike go forward, you turn the spanner forward.
If you want the pedals off the bike, in which case you can't go forward, you turn the spanner backward.

And yes to Copperslip grease - I try to ensure every single bolt on my bikes is either inserted with Copperslip so i can get it off, or with Locktite, so it won't undo without a struggle.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
to get a pedal off once I used a camping gas stove, with a butane/propane mix canister and turned the crank a pale red and let it cool befire trying - it didn't work so I did it again. it worked then. ISTR bashing it wiv an 'eavy 'ammer was part of the process.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
And to prevent, or at least minimise the risk of cross threading, put the pedal to the crank and gently turn it by hand the wrong way. If you have the pedal aligned properly, you should feel a step down just as the beginning of the threads pass each other. Once you are just pass the step, maintain the alignment and turn by hand the correct way.
If you can't feel the step, you might not have the threads aligned.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
And to prevent, or at least minimise the risk of cross threading, put the pedal to the crank and gently turn it by hand the wrong way. If you have the pedal aligned properly, you should feel a step down just as the beginning of the threads pass each other. Once you are just pass the step, maintain the alignment and turn by hand the correct way.
If you can't feel the step, you might not have the threads aligned.
Also they should screw up to the 'Shoulder' by hand, if you need a spanner before that then summats wrong.

A1kc

I find this tool saves a lot of blood....
p4pb8193282.jpg
www.pinkbike.com/news/Introducing-Pedal-Aid-2012.html

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Also they should screw up to the 'Shoulder' by hand, if you need a spanner before that then summats wrong.
^this - all my pedals have allen sockets and if I can't spin them up easily by hand with an allen key held between finger and thumb, 'summats wrong'.

Tin Pot

Guru
to get a pedal off once I used a camping gas stove, with a butane/propane mix canister and turned the crank a pale red and let it cool befire trying - it didn't work so I did it again. it worked then. ISTR bashing it wiv an 'eavy 'ammer was part of the process.
:laugh:

Top Bottom