Removing Pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glasgow44

Veteran
Hi there

I may be going on a cycling trip next year to Mallorca. The organiser of the trip has said that, if we hire bikes, we have to bring our own pedals. I would be planning to take my own SPD-SL pedals and shoes. How easy is it to remove pedals without damage (I hear horror stories about damaging threads, etc!).

Thanks

J

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Easy peasy. Even I can do it. Lol.

Decent pedal spanner and the way I remember to loosen them is "Back off" ie turn the spanner towards the rear of the bike on both sides. Some pedals are fitted with an allen key but same applies for the direction to loosen. Then just reverse when refitting obviously.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
It's very easy as long as you take a bit of care. The main risk is cross threading so fit them by hand and most pedals I've fitted only need a tool for the final tightening.

+1 for @Mo1959's way of remembering which way to turn them. :okay: Trying to put the wrong pedal on the wrong side is probably what causes most damaged threads.

Ajax Bay

Guru
@Mo1959 has implied it, but I think it's worth saying explicitly that the thread on the right pedal (can't fit SPD-SLs the wrong way unless one tries) is 'normal' ie undo anti-clockwise, tighten clockwise; and the left pedal is the wrong 'un. If your pedals have an allen key fitting then an allen key is a lot lighter to carry than a pedal spanner - but it's almost certain the shop will have the tools for you to borrow. Tip: after you take them off your bike, and clean them, apply a little grease before packing to take with you.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
526770110.jpg
Take this with you. Use it every time you fit pedals and you'll live happily ever after.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member

Decent pedal spanner and the way I remember to loosen them is "Back off" ie turn the spanner towards the rear of the bike on both sides. Some pedals are fitted with an allen key but same applies for the direction to loosen. Then just reverse when refitting obviously.
I like that! I've always used "Right is right, left is wrong", but yours is neater.

Jody

Stubborn git
The method I use of the pedals are on tight is to put the allen key or spanner at about 30-45 degrees to the crank and squeeze both together or leaver down towards the crank arm. Saves you knuckles and very rarely fails to get them moving.

Leaway2

Lycrist
Can you come round and take the pedals off my Cannondale. Lol.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
The GF's eldest has just bought a new MTB and wanted to transfer his old pedals. We got the drive side pedal off no problem. But trying to get the other off we twisted the hex key. (N0 spanner flats). LBS also tried, used penetrating oil, a little heat and they failed also. He's had to buy new pedals.

Tin Pot

Guru
Once you've done it a few times it's easy as pie.

I fit/remove my pedals almost every ride as they are power meters and I don't want to leave them outside or to fit to a different bike.

Don't over tighten them.

Top Bottom