removing rust from chromed handlebars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zippy

I have chromed steel handlebars which have had rainwater sitting on them all day at work on a number of occasions and I have a good few rust spots. A few questions:

Apart from visual effect, I am worried that this rust will eventually compromise handlebar strength. How worried should I be?

I have picked up from the 'net that one can remove rust spots by rubbing with wetted alu' foil until gone then following up with something like Brasso to shine and protect. Anyone tried this?

Having rectified the problem, what can I do to prevent further rust damage? Spray with 2-pack clear? car wax?

Take a look at the thickness of the bars at the ends - I'd be surprised if the rust has got over 100th of the way through.

I've not tried it on Chrome Plate but would a clear lacquer not solve the problem?

tyred

Legendary Member
It's unlikely to be bad enough to compromise strength.

As for removal and prevention, if it's got big scabs of rust flaking the chrome off, the best thing is probably to soak them in an oxalic acid solution for a few hours to remove rust without damaging the remaining chrome plating. If not that bad, then fine wire wool to clean the rusty spots, duraglitz or autosol to polish the chrome and then dab a little Hammerite Kurust or Jenolite into the rusty spots and allow to cure. It will turn the rust black.

Top Bottom