Renewing derailleur and cassette.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Salty seadog

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
When you say you have been having shifting issues ...

Gears not changing well, or not sitting in gear? or the chain is slipping on the cog without gear change?

Gears not changing well on the largest 4 sprockets at the rear, needing an extra bit of push on the shifter. I think every now and then out skips two cogs.

Was the cassette replaced by the lbs or not?

OP appears to contradict.

The lbs did put a new cassette on but although slightly improved the problem remained so I got the original put back on.

Tin Pot

Guru
Might be worth looking at the shifter as well. I had a few issues last year that wouldn’t go away until the shifter itself failed and I had to replace it.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Gears not changing well on the largest 4 sprockets at the rear, needing an extra bit of push on the shifter. I think every now and then out skips two cogs.

The lbs did put a new cassette on but although slightly improved the problem remained so I got the original put back on.
new cassette with old chain is not a good idea. Always put new chain on with new cassette

Tin Pot

Guru

That idea comes from bikes that are not maintained regularly, never swap wheels, nor cassettes.

There is no reason to swap any component unless it, specifically, need replacing.

If there is no chain stretch, if the chain is good, don’t change it.

pclay

Veteran
Do you think a chain tool is more or less accurate than measuring 10 links (10") with a steel rule? Why?
Yes. Chain tool is manufactured to tolerances. A steel rule is done by eye. Already stated above that OP has a different number than the LBS (0.5 or 0.4 %)

Tim Hall

Yes. Chain tool is manufactured to tolerances. A steel rule is done by eye. Already stated above that OP has a different number than the LBS (0.5 or 0.4 %)
Is that yes the chain tool is more accurate or yes the chain tool is less accurate?

OP
OP
Salty seadog

Salty seadog

I'm using the park cc2 checker with the adjustable lever and I'm not a big fan, the shop used something else but we were both close to each other in our readings as there is a human element to actually coming up with a number rather than a drop in yes/no tool.

Did you say that you rode your bike for 2 1/2 years without any problems but that it is now not indexing correctly? It sounds to me that there is some play in the rear mech.
If the problem was only cured temporarily by the fitting of a new chain and cluster it seems to suggest that the rear mech is at fault.

OP
OP
Salty seadog

Salty seadog

Did you say that you rode your bike for 2 1/2 years without any problems but that it is now not indexing correctly? It sounds to me that there is some play in the rear mech.
If the problem was only cured temporarily by the fitting of a new chain and cluster it seems to suggest that the rear mech is at fault.

It wasn't cured. The shop fitted a new cassette but whilst there was an improvement the problem was still there so I put the old one back. I think I'm going to go with putting a new cassette and chain and if it doesn't improve I'll look at new hanger then mech.

Top Bottom