Renewing derailleur and cassette.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Hi all, this is on the whyte montpellier hybrid. I've been having some shifting issues in the lower 3-4 gears in both the big and small ring, needing a little extra push on the shifter to get it into the next lowest gear (biggest cog), also a little bit of chatter. I'd been fiddling with indexing etc for a couple of months including going back to scratch and undoing the cable, still the same. The chain has plenty of meat on it and only the second on the bike with about 2500 miles on it

A little background info. The bike fell over in the house and knocked the hanger out of line, I had it straightened and it shifted perfectly for the next 2 1/2 years. Despite this when in the big ring and in the lower gears you could see that the rear mech cage was pulled slightly out of line,(towards the inside).

Took it into the lbs recently and the mechanic put on a new gear cable and cassette. It shifted perfectly in the stand but under load the problem was the same as before. The mechanic said maybe the cage had been twisted over time.

The nuclear option is to replace hanger mech and maybe cassette.

Question 1. It has sram shifters on it, will any derailleur work with the shifters, i.e pull ratio wise, is that dictated by the shifters alone?

Question 2. Does this cassette look ok to you wear wise?

DSC_0585.JPG

DSC_0586.JPG

Sorry for the rambling nature.

wisdom

Guru
Cassette looks fine to me

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I know you have said your chain has meat on it, but are you sure it is OK? You seem to have eliminated the hangar (at least on a stand), the cassette and cable. My current chain has lasted only around 3,000 miles and among other work on my bike is being replaced tomorrow.
I'd also have thought a chain would be cheaper than a hanger. If the problem persists you have eliminated one possible cause and have a spare chain for when your current one needs replacing.

OP
OP
Salty seadog

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Why did the mechanic not check the cage, did he check alignment again?

Do you mean hanger alignment? He straigtened it out. It maybe that a skewed cage might not be visible to the eye. I think he sugested it might be only a fraction out. He is a good mechanic i trust.

I know you have said your chain has meat on it, but are you sure it is OK? You seem to have eliminated the hangar (at least on a stand), the cassette and cable. My current chain has lasted only around 3,000 miles and among other work on my bike is being replaced tomorrow.
I'd also have thought a chain would be cheaper than a hanger. If the problem persists you have eliminated one possible cause and have a spare chain for when your current one needs replacing.

I measured it at just over 0.5% and the mechanic came up with 0.4% so we both think it's good. I have a new chain at hoe so will slap that on next week when I'm home. It's amazing the blind spots a brain can have, I hadn't thought of that as this chain is good.

Ajax Bay

Guru
The chain has plenty of meat on it and only the second on the bike with about 2500 miles on it.
. . . .
Question 2. Does this cassette look ok to you wear wise?
You cannot really tell whether the cassette has worn 'too much' by inspection. Quite possible, after 2500 miles, that the cassette has worn and needs replacing. You should be able to tell this if the chain occasionally skips a tooth (on a sprocket (rear)).
But having said that, the symptoms seem more like misalignment of the hanger and possibly the cage slightly off true (vertically). This should be visible with the bike on a stand and viewing from the rear, checking across the full range of the cassette. The jockey wheels should remain absolutely vertical.

pclay

Veteran
That cassette looks ok to me. By comparison, the cassette on my Cannondale has done 5500 miles and is still running ok. It's on the third chain.

ryanme

When you say you have been having shifting issues ...

Gears not changing well, or not sitting in gear? or the chain is slipping on the cog without gear change?

pclay

Veteran
i would say that the chain is worn. Have you measured the chain wear with a chain tool? a good rule of thumb is to replace the chain every 1500 miles. if you current chain has 2500 miles on it, then I would say it is long overdue to be replaced.

Top Bottom