Repair and repaint Reynolds 753 frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just realised, you'll have the exact reverse of a problem I'm currently having resolved at a framebuilder right now. By going from Dura Ace to C Record I've got a steerer tube that's 8mm too short for the headset and therefore needs extending (can't have a remnant Shimano headset on an otherwise completely C-Record bike!)... in a chromed, cast fork crown that wouldn't appreciate heat and grinding. Can I have the cut bit of your steerer when you've finished with it please? :laugh:

Good afternoon,

That’s crying out for some Super Record!

Surely this is ideal for a replica of the Raleigh Europa, 5 speed cottered steel chainset, racing half guards and a pressed steel rear mech. :laugh:

You could then post picture on a cycle forum saying "I just bought this any thoughts?" and see how many people tell you that the frame is non-alloy steel with a 753 sticker stuck on!

Bye

Ian

OP
OP
BalkanExpress
Just realised, you'll have the exact reverse of a problem I'm currently having resolved at a framebuilder right now. By going from Dura Ace to C Record I've got a steerer tube that's 8mm too short for the headset and therefore needs extending (can't have a remnant Shimano headset on an otherwise completely C-Record bike!)... in a chromed, cast fork crown that wouldn't appreciate heat and grinding. Can I have the cut bit of your steerer when you've finished with it please? :laugh:

The steerer is only about 2mm too long for the headset s a spacer will sort it, otherwise I'd have happily popped it in the post for you

OP
OP
BalkanExpress
Gets my vote, love Dura Ace :smile:. Black hubs can he hard to find though....

Further confession, I have a pair of GP40s with Mavic hubs and will probably use those, if only because the front has radial spoke and looks fab:becool: The wheels are part of a full, early, Mavic groupset and I'd been tempted to fit that but felt it would have been a step too far:smile:

OP
OP
BalkanExpress
Good afternoon,

Surely this is ideal for a replica of the Raleigh Europa, 5 speed cottered steel chainset, racing half guards and a pressed steel rear mech. :laugh:

You could then post picture on a cycle forum saying "I just bought this any thoughts?" and see how many people tell you that the frame is non-alloy steel with a 753 sticker stuck on!

Bye

Ian

Genius, I never had a Raleigh as a kid and it would be fun to see a certain forum explode:evil:

Better check if I have any suicide levers in the bits box....

midlife

Guru
Further confession, I have a pair of GP40s with Mavic hubs and will probably use those, if only because the front has radial spoke and looks fab:becool: The wheels are part of a full, early, Mavic groupset and I'd been tempted to fit that but felt it would have been a step too far:smile:

Does the rear have radial spokes on the non drive side? :smile:

OP
OP
BalkanExpress
Does the rear have radial spokes on the non drive side? :smile:

Have you been rummaging around my garage?:laugh:

Yes it does:okay:

Not having ridden wheels with radial spokes before I assume I will need to be a bit more circumspect on the cobbles?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I have ridden radial wheels with medale d’or rims .... need to be circumspect on smooth tarmac lol.
The Roval wheels on my bike are laced that way, immensely strong

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
These are radial spokes. Triumph of style over engineering principles I have been told lol

I would agree. The practice of cross-lacing spokes didn't come about for cosmetic reasons. It was found they produced stronger more durable wheels, and they have been built that way for many decades.
Whenever I see radial spoked wheels, especially with a low number of spokes, I just associate them with posing hipsters.

OP
OP
BalkanExpress
merckxtecnos.jpg
I would agree. The practice of cross-lacing spokes didn't come about for cosmetic reasons. It was found they produced stronger more durable wheels, and they have been built that way for many decades.
Whenever I see radial spoked wheels, especially with a low number of spokes, I just associate them with posing hipsters.

What, like this?

Top Bottom