Repair and repaint Reynolds 753 frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
And a 653 frame is a mix of 531 and 753 tubes.
Yep,

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Good question.

The answer is not 100%, but probably yes.

The frame has had a respray and has a Reynolds 653 transfer on it. However, from the serial number the frame itself is end 1982/early 1983 (SB5797) and the fork in addition to the serial number has 1082 on the steerer) This suggests that it is not 653 as that was 1986(?) onwards.

The other indicator that it is 753R is the Cinelli Bottom bracket which is the SCM version.

And this is not a scientific proof, but it "rings" like 753 when you flick the top tube:smile:

Of course what I need to do is weigh the frame and subtract the weight of the stuck bit of seatpost , but it is currently at work and the scales are at home:rolleyes:
Maybe at the point it was resprayed the rear triangle was replaced with 531c tubing which would make it a 653 tubeset.

nonowt

Über Member
Bad experience?
Afraid so. Took almost a year to get a frame back after taking it in for a respray. They never contacted me once and fobbed me off with excuses every time I called. Their Facebook page is full of people complaining of similar and worse experiences. Shame.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Tony Oliver reckoned 653 was 753 without the heat treatment (which would make it rather weak). Take with a pinch of salt.

Edit: it seems he was right as far as the main triangle was concerned.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
And this is not a scientific proof, but it "rings" like 753 when you flick the top tube:smile:
Of course what I need to do is weigh the frame and subtract the weight of the stuck bit of seatpost , but it is currently at work and the scales are at home:rolleyes:

You're a better man than me if you can tell 753 from 531 by flicking a frame tube with your fingernail! I can tell the difference between gas pipe and 501/531 using the flicking method, but I wouldn't like to try to differentiate various butted Reynolds tubes from each other in a blind test. I certainly wouldn't be betting hard cash on it!

What sort of frame & forks weight are you hoping/expecting to see when you manage to weigh it minus the seatpost?

OP
OP
BalkanExpress
You're a better man than me if you can tell 753 from 531 by flicking a frame tube with your fingernail! I can tell the difference between gas pipe and 501/531 using the flicking method, but I wouldn't like to try to differentiate various butted Reynolds tubes from each other in a blind test. I certainly wouldn't be betting hard cash on it!

What sort of frame & forks weight are you hoping/expecting to see when you manage to weigh it minus the seatpost?

I wouldn’t bet my house on it either:laugh:

Weight wise I would be looking at 1700g or less for the frame, of course at that weight it could still be 531SL^_^

OP
OP
BalkanExpress
Just out of curiosity, how big is your SBDU frame?

This one is marked 55, it’s at work so I cannot measure it this evening.

I still, for the moment, have the other two I have posted on here: a 60cm 753 and a 57cm 531. The 60cm is just that little bit too big and I will be moving it on soon, (hence this other one)

The joy of being Brussels based (apart from the frites, cyclocross and err the Smurfs) is that cheap SBDU bikes turn up within driving range on a fairly regular basis

midlife

Guru
This one is marked 55, it’s at work so I cannot measure it this evening.

I still, for the moment, have the other two I have posted on here: a 60cm 753 and a 57cm 531. The 60cm is just that little bit too big and I will be moving it on soon, (hence this other one)

The joy of being Brussels based (apart from the frites, cyclocross and err the Smurfs) is that cheap SBDU bikes turn up within driving range on a fairly regular basis

Thanks, just thinking about metric / imperial seat post sizes for frames made of 753

Originalshinkicker on Retrobike has a blog that should help with identifying your new frame :smile:. If you are thinking about etting your bigger frame go I could be interested :smile:

OP
OP
BalkanExpress
Originalshinkicker on Retrobike has a blog that should help with identifying your new frame :smile:. If you are thinking about etting your bigger frame go I could be interested :smile:

Yes, I have been in touch with Neil and sent him a few pictures. I should really measure the tubes but I don’t have a vernier guage...yet

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
My rule of thumb is 4.5lb for a bare frame in 531DB or 531C. This assumes a medium suze of 22". A 531 plain gauge frame is just over 5lb bare. Thickness of stays and cast/pressed lugs have an impact. My Jim Bundy track frame is 4lb 3oz despite an extended seat tube and some pretty heavy Colnago-style lugs and a thick investment cast BB. It's almost certainly 531 Pro (no decal but he built a lot of 531 Pro track irons).

753 should be 4lb or under for a bare 22" frame.

OP
OP
BalkanExpress
Thanks, just thinking about metric / imperial seat post sizes for frames made of 753

You have a pm

Top Bottom