Repair stand - rectangular top tube

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
My Lidl repair stand is great for my hybrid but absolutely useless for my road bike (Giant Defy) due to it having a wide (c 5cm) rectangular top tube. Anyone know of a repair stand that will be suitable?

Thanks
Mike

wisdom

Guru
I clamp my defy on the seatpost

OP
OP
Mike_P

Mike_P

Guru
It'd be OK in a U stand that clamps a wheel axle (but that leaves it stood on the floor) or a bike winch if you have suitable ceiling beams to bolt to.
Thanks but I need it raised off the floor - the derailleurs need adjusting, Never been right since I got some grass caught in the rear set.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Thanks but I need it raised off the floor - the derailleurs need adjusting, Never been right since I got some grass caught in the rear set.
Yeah, you can adjust the derailleurs with the bike on the floor and back wheel lifted in a stand, but it's a kneel down job. A winch is easier.

OP
OP
Mike_P

Mike_P

Guru
Yeah, you can adjust the derailleurs with the bike on the floor and back wheel lifted in a stand, but it's a kneel down job. A winch is easier.
Been trying that for a couple of weeks but as I have not yet managed to sort out the issue thought a higher arrangement might achieve a result. As it was, and it might be due to the clamp being worn slightly, but even as tight as could get the clamp on the seat post the bike still slipped down (also might be because it was swaying about slightly in the wind). Anyway decided I had spent enough time getting no where booked the bike in the LBS. However would still be interested if anyone knows of a stand that will clamp onto a rectangular top bar.

lazyfatgit

clamp onto the seatpost. Much less likely to crush than a top tube.

Yes i'd use the seatpost. No problem unless it's a plastic dust bike.

I used to use the top tube until the time i puzzled and puzzled over a rear brake problem.

Turned out the clamp was squashing the brake cable.

That was half an hour wasted.

OP
OP
Mike_P

Mike_P

Guru
Just to pick up this thread more recent maintenance on the bike has typically made use of one of those chaintube props. Noticed Aldi flogging them off at £2.99 and wondered if anyone had used two, one either side to keep the bike more secure and less likely to have balancing issues when the front wheel turns.

Top Bottom