Repairing clothing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
I have put holes in the knee of a pair of bibs and wonder about patching them up, I'm not fussy if they don't look 100% but there's a fair bit of life left in them and they're warm and comfy.

I'm not gifted with a needle and thread but wouldn't mind having a go at repairing these.

What's the best way to go about it please? :biggrin:

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
I have put holes in the knee of a pair of bibs and wonder about patching them up, I'm not fussy if they don't look 100% but there's a fair bit of life left in them and they're warm and comfy.

I'm not gifted with a needle and thread but wouldn't mind having a go at repairing these.

What's the best way to go about it please? ;)

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I assume they are made of stretchy material? Best way is to sew on a patch made of something similarly stretcy. Have you got an even older pair you could sacrifice to make into a couple of patches?

If you haven't got any stretchy material, you could use non-stretchy, but in that case I would attempt to sew on the patch with your knee bent, so it does not restrict your movement. (Put the bibs on, and carefully pin the patch to the fabric all around before taking them off and sewing the patch on.)

(I've never attempted mending stretchy knees, as it were, so this is guesswork...)

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I assume they are made of stretchy material? Best way is to sew on a patch made of something similarly stretcy. Have you got an even older pair you could sacrifice to make into a couple of patches?

If you haven't got any stretchy material, you could use non-stretchy, but in that case I would attempt to sew on the patch with your knee bent, so it does not restrict your movement. (Put the bibs on, and carefully pin the patch to the fabric all around before taking them off and sewing the patch on.)

(I've never attempted mending stretchy knees, as it were, so this is guesswork...)

longers said:
I have put holes in the knee of a pair of bibs and wonder about patching them up...
As mentioned if they're stretchy it's a bit more difficult. What you need to be careful of, if stretchy (or a knitted material), is that you can 'ladder' them if you don't sew on carefully. Depending how big the hole is you can patch with non-stretch material; but of course you might lose some flex in the knee. What's important to do is make sure that the hole is well away from where you have sewn; to make sure that you can't 'pull' on the loose threads and have them ladder.
I'm very lazy with needle and thread; prefer sewing machine :laugh:

longers said:
I have put holes in the knee of a pair of bibs and wonder about patching them up...
As mentioned if they're stretchy it's a bit more difficult. What you need to be careful of, if stretchy (or a knitted material), is that you can 'ladder' them if you don't sew on carefully. Depending how big the hole is you can patch with non-stretch material; but of course you might lose some flex in the knee. What's important to do is make sure that the hole is well away from where you have sewn; to make sure that you can't 'pull' on the loose threads and have them ladder.
I'm very lazy with needle and thread; prefer sewing machine :biggrin:

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
Thanks, I won't trouble Alex but her sewing looks excellent. Too good for a cheap pair of rebranded Giordanas from a jumble. They are very comfy though and if I can bodge them up they should last a while.

Should I put the patch on the inside or outside? :laugh:

I could ask my mum this but I don't really want her to know I've been sliding down the road again.

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
Thanks, I won't trouble Alex but her sewing looks excellent. Too good for a cheap pair of rebranded Giordanas from a jumble. They are very comfy though and if I can bodge them up they should last a while.

Should I put the patch on the inside or outside? :biggrin:

I could ask my mum this but I don't really want her to know I've been sliding down the road again.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
I've patched on the outside of a hole without any problems - but made sure any knots are sandwiched between the two layers of fabric.
You can get nylon thread which has a little bit more give than cotton.
When stitching lycra I try to stretch both the garment and the patch out a little. It will look puckered when you're not wearing it, but will give a bit more without tearing if it's on an area that stretches a lot - such as on the knee.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
I've patched on the outside of a hole without any problems - but made sure any knots are sandwiched between the two layers of fabric.
You can get nylon thread which has a little bit more give than cotton.
When stitching lycra I try to stretch both the garment and the patch out a little. It will look puckered when you're not wearing it, but will give a bit more without tearing if it's on an area that stretches a lot - such as on the knee.

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
Ok, How about a smoother patch on the inside and a tougher one* on the outside?
A friend who sews said that a zig zag stitch helps on stretchy fabrics so can do that.

It's something I've been thinking about learning is better sewing and I've been meaning to ask in the Cafe.

* gore-tex quick-dry corduroy?

Top Bottom