Repairing clothing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
Ok, How about a smoother patch on the inside and a tougher one* on the outside?
A friend who sews said that a zig zag stitch helps on stretchy fabrics so can do that.

It's something I've been thinking about learning is better sewing and I've been meaning to ask in the Cafe.

* gore-tex quick-dry corduroy?

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Reckon two patches would work, and agree with the zig zag stitching tip.

Am sure that there would be evening classes on sewing at a college near you, or your friend could teach you?

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Reckon two patches would work, and agree with the zig zag stitching tip.

Am sure that there would be evening classes on sewing at a college near you, or your friend could teach you?

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Yes, it could be very tricky getting the right amount of stretch.

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
I do fancy improving my sewing the more I think about it. The reality might be different.

Am I likely to pick up much from a book? There's this one, or this one I've found.

There are a lot of places to get interesting fabrics from round here and there's Point North - poorly website but it says they do samples,

Do I need to be good by hand before playing with sewing machines?

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
I do fancy improving my sewing the more I think about it. The reality might be different.

Am I likely to pick up much from a book? There's this one, or this one I've found.

There are a lot of places to get interesting fabrics from round here and there's Point North - poorly website but it says they do samples,

Do I need to be good by hand before playing with sewing machines?

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I am guessing that performance fabrics are very expensive. I would suggest you practice on a garment made in a fabric that is less expensive, and easier to handle.

Some members of the forum have partners who do lots of sewing. Fossyant might be one of them, IIRC.

I had thought about sewing in those performance fabrics, and might have a closer look at that site. I am sure someone on here has made their own using similar fabrics.

Like a lot of things, you get better with practice. Just a teensy point, have you got a sewing machine you could borrow? :tongue: Just remembered, Waffleycat does lots of sewing.

Edit - just had a look at that website and have found a double open end zip that I have been looking for.:tongue:

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I am guessing that performance fabrics are very expensive. I would suggest you practice on a garment made in a fabric that is less expensive, and easier to handle.

Some members of the forum have partners who do lots of sewing. Fossyant might be one of them, IIRC.

I had thought about sewing in those performance fabrics, and might have a closer look at that site. I am sure someone on here has made their own using similar fabrics.

Like a lot of things, you get better with practice. Just a teensy point, have you got a sewing machine you could borrow? :biggrin: Just remembered, Waffleycat does lots of sewing.

Edit - just had a look at that website and have found a double open end zip that I have been looking for.:sad:

Top Bottom