Repairing clothing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
Speicher said:
I am guessing that performance fabrics are very expensive.

I reckon you're right, I saw they do samples and was thinking of seeing if they'll do a penny mix of samples or offcuts and then think of what to make with what comes :tongue:

I could borrow a sewing machine if I ask around I think. No idea what I'd be looking for in them but can ask Mum that as its far enough away from patches/patching as to be safe territory.

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
Speicher said:
I am guessing that performance fabrics are very expensive.

I reckon you're right, I saw they do samples and was thinking of seeing if they'll do a penny mix of samples or offcuts and then think of what to make with what comes :biggrin:

I could borrow a sewing machine if I ask around I think. No idea what I'd be looking for in them but can ask Mum that as its far enough away from patches/patching as to be safe territory.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I would suggest that if you think about buying a machine, do not even think about buying a lightweight one for about £50. If you progress, you will soon need a more complex machine.

Borrowing one will give you the opportunity to see if you like sewing and what sort of things you will make. Stating the blindingly obvious, heavy fabrics require a good motor, and IIRC a slow speed.

To practice on, look out for remnants, there might even be some on the Oxfam site, under household and fabrics. :tongue: You could practice sewing by hand and some hemming etc. If you have an Auntie who has stopped sewing for any reason, I would think they would be very pleased to let you have whatever sewing items you might need, like pins, needles etc. You might like to start a fresh thread (:tongue:) about starting sewing, as I am sure there are more expert people on here who could advise you.

Or with fleece, for instance, you could buy a cheap one in a Charity Shop that you know is too big, and alter it to fit you. You will no doubt learn by your mistakes.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I would suggest that if you think about buying a machine, do not even think about buying a lightweight one for about £50. If you progress, you will soon need a more complex machine.

Borrowing one will give you the opportunity to see if you like sewing and what sort of things you will make. Stating the blindingly obvious, heavy fabrics require a good motor, and IIRC a slow speed.

To practice on, look out for remnants, there might even be some on the Oxfam site, under household and fabrics. :biggrin: You could practice sewing by hand and some hemming etc. If you have an Auntie who has stopped sewing for any reason, I would think they would be very pleased to let you have whatever sewing items you might need, like pins, needles etc. You might like to start a fresh thread (:sad:) about starting sewing, as I am sure there are more expert people on here who could advise you.

Or with fleece, for instance, you could buy a cheap one in a Charity Shop that you know is too big, and alter it to fit you. You will no doubt learn by your mistakes.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Blimey, there's a whole world of sewing out there!
Sound advice from Speicher...
You don't need to be able to hand sew before you try using a machine, and am sure you can pick up techniques from a book if you're good at following instructions and visuals.
My gran taught me basic hand stitches and machine techniques on her treadle Singer, which I still have. Haven't made anything for years but always patch/repair/embellish things where possible and can turn up a mean hem.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Blimey, there's a whole world of sewing out there!
Sound advice from Speicher...
You don't need to be able to hand sew before you try using a machine, and am sure you can pick up techniques from a book if you're good at following instructions and visuals.
My gran taught me basic hand stitches and machine techniques on her treadle Singer, which I still have. Haven't made anything for years but always patch/repair/embellish things where possible and can turn up a mean hem.

Top Bottom