Repairing holes in clothing - darning..?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Sadly my lovely base layer got a couple of smallish (sub 1/4") holes torn in it recently by a bramble.

I took it to a local place for repair, however wasn't particularly impressed by the options - which were basically:

- Stick a patch over the inside to prevent it getting worse
- If it got larger, create a fold over / around it and stitch it down

I expected them to darn these holes - is this not something anyone does any more? I appreciate that both of the above are probably preferable for a commercial repairer as they're likely quicker / require less skill.. but neither of the outcomes seems particularly appealing.

Almost tempted to have a go myself tbh..

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Sadly my lovely base layer got a couple of smallish (sub 1/4") holes torn in it recently by a bramble.

I took it to a local place for repair, however wasn't particularly impressed by the options - which were basically:

I expected them to darn these holes - is this not something anyone does any more? I appreciate that both of the above are probably preferable for a commercial repairer as they're likely quicker / require less skill.. but neither of the outcomes seems particularly appealing.

Probably a long lost art.

My winter longs had a small hole after an 'off' plus I had a small hole in some fleece sallopettes I wear in the mountains for scrambling.

I bought some iron-on black fabric patches from Amazon.

They are permanent, tougher than the original fabric and nigh on invisible - not that the latter matters if they were as they are only items of utility clothing.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...

And how much did you expect to pay for someone to darn the multiple holes? Probably cheaper to just buy new?

The answer, as it often is, is to DIY. I do my own repairs of this kind and often, depending on material, the repair can be almost invisible and often not felt when wearing the item after repair. Holed socks, jumpers, torn trousers, holes in gloves, just some of the common repairs. Just like fixing a punctured inner tube, it almost begs the question, why wouldn't you?

SpokeyDokey

Kleiber do a huge range of iron-on products.

I bought one large black chunk via Amazon (40x17cm) for less than a fiver and it is enough for a lot of small hole repairs.

Ironed on from the inside and two repairs have survived loads of use and washes.

NB they do stretchy patches too.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I haven't looked but I'd expect there to be some good tutorial videos on YouTube. Buy and needle and thread and DiY. I still do a bit of sewing/darning if required. Landfill is the very last option.

There's no special skill required really, it's quite simple once you have the basics. Also, as has been said, it doesn't have to be invisible. Repairs should be worn with pride, a medal to reward your practicality and prudence. :angel:

Oh I have darned socks in the past. I was given a pair of Primal socks and they got holes in them within the first few wearings. I have socks that are YEARS old so it was just crappy socks. Would never buy any Primal kit again. I had to darn both socks.

For a base layer - I'd prob go for the patches. I have got some merino base layers with small holes in but I'm just having those as extra ventilation. (also not buying that brand again)

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Turn your base layer into a string vest via the careful addition of more holes?

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Never thought of trying a machine for darning and cannot see how that could work with holes.
I was brought up in wartime and my mother was a seamstress and dressmaker so I was taught the proper way to darn.
One point which most will not be able to do is use the same colour yarn and a longish needle but if you do not have a matching colour then anything near should do. It does need a small amount of skill and care to do it properly.
I am lucky as we were knitwear manufacturers and I still have lots a different shades and textures so doing a near invisible darn is easy.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Thanks all!

Since this has garned a fair few replies I'll forgo the individual responses; however broad strokes:

I was expecting to pay the going rate to have the item repaired to a decent standard - which neither of the options offered seemed to be. tbh I doubt this would cost more than the original value of the item as it wasn't cheap, but I would pay somewhat over the odds within reason to stop it being written off.

In any case, I won't be throwing the base layer away as I hate our disposible / consumptive culture and am angry at myself for letting the damage happen in the first place.

I'm not keen on iron-on patches as I think they look messy, plus the garment is 20% synthetic so not sure how viable they'd be.

As always being tight, picky and mistrusting of others I'd far rather do the repair myself; however I have zero experience of such work and most days can barely summon enough motivation / concentration to wipe my own arse; let alone learn a whole new skill for a job that's reasonably time-sensitive.

We do have a family sewing machine, however it's an ancient Singer item I've saved from the chopping block numerous times purely because it's such a nice old thing, and I doubt it's sophisticated enough to do what I need.

As it stands, as usual it looks like a case of "if you want it doing properly (or at all) do it yourself".. irritatingly after leaving the tailors I passed a sewing supplies place and could have popped in to try and colour-match some thread. Maybe I'll go in at the end of the week when I go to collect my other repair (a far more straightforward stitching job) and let them guide me re. appropriate threads and needles - although tbh my trust in people who "should know what they're doing" grows ever-more thin by the day..

Tbh darning's something I've long wanted to be able to do; maybe this will be enough to push me over the edge (whether that's the edge of learning a new skill or a tall building remains to be seen).

Can anyone advise as to what sort of thread I should be using? The base layer's a wool / synthetic mix, but I assume there's no need (and limited ability) to match it and just a basic cotton is probably the way forward..?

Again, thanks for the constructive responses :smile:

Last edited:

SpokeyDokey

Thanks all!

Since this has garned a fair few replies I'll forgo the individual responses; however broad strokes:

I was expecting to pay the going rate to have the item repaired to a decent standard - which neither of the options offered seemed to be. tbh I doubt this would cost more than the original value of the item as it wasn't cheap, but would pay over the odds within reason to stop it being written off.

In any case, I won't be throwing the base layer away as I hate our disposible / consumptive culture and am angry at myself for letting the damage happen in the first place.

I'm not keen on iron-on patches as I think they look messy, plus the garment is 20% synthetic so not sure how viable they'd be.

As always being tight, picky and mistrusting of others I'd far rather do the repair myself; however I have zero experience of such work and most days can barely summon enough motivation / concentration to wipe my own arse; let alone learn a whole new skill for a job that's reasonably time-sensitive.

We do have a family sewing machine, however it's an ancient Singer item I've saved from the chopping block numerous times purely because it's such a nice old thing, and I doubt it's sophisticated enough to do what I need.

As it stands, as usual it looks like a case of "if you want it doing properly (or at all) do it yourself".. irritatingly after leaving the tailors I passed a sewing supplies place and could have popped in to try and colour-match some thread. Maybe I'll go in at the end of the week when I go to collect my other repair (a far more straightforward stitching job) and let them guide me re. appropriate threads and needles - although tbh my trust in people who "should know what they're doing" grows ever-more thin by the day..

Tbh darning's something I've long wanted to be able to do; maybe this will be enough to push me over the edge (whether that's the edge of learning a new skill or a tall building remains to be seen).

Can anyone advise as to what sort of thread I should be using? The base layer's a wool / synthetic mix, but I assume there's no need (and limited ability) to match it and just a basic cotton is probably the way forward..?

Good reply.

Btw - iron on patches go on the inside. You can't see them.

Good luck with the darning - we need a full write-up obviously!

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country

I'd have thought if the existing yarn has any stretch to it you'd need similar in the replacement yarn. I'd go for something of a similar thickness/weight too.

I've never used one but I think darning is easier with a mushroom

Top Bottom