Repairing holes in clothing - darning..?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
We had one of those when I was a kid, but it was called sewing egg ^_^

Very true!
I was shown the basics of darning when I was at school, never took an interest, but in dire straits I could do a visible repair :laugh:
Didn't know about the iron on patches: I don't really rip my clothes, apart from some leggings that the cats knead on.
Wouldn't dream of repairing them, more time efficient to relegate them to gardening duties.
I patch my gardening clothes - I don't think the people I garden with want to see my bare bum :laugh:

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Thanks all!

Not keen on iron-on patches (due to visibility / potential irritation of skin and OCD). I'm not averse to the idea of a visible repair, however don't want to draw attention to my inevitably shonky first-go, so in this case a bad match is better than a good contrast IMO. Thanks @slowmotion for the patch suggestion; however that would clash terribly with the orange fabric!

As with everything in life progress has been slow. Last week I missed the sewing shop as they closed earlier than expected; while this week's planned trip was aborted after a bit more research suggested they were more into recreational sewing (crocet etc) than tailinging / fixing stuff.

So.. tried to do the local thing but failed - looking like it's back to the internet.

I'm learning from absolutely nothing but keen to get the job done as my other base layer makes me look like a piece of formless, excessively shrink-wrapped sausage meat.. plus I prefer the feel of the wool.

I'm considering this Scanfil thread; potentially a bit more coarse than the original fabric but composition appears similar. Not sure which orange I want but hopefully either should give a less-than-obvious repair when viewed from a few feet away. I like the idea of a mushroom too and appreciate the tips so far - any more guidance / links would be much appreciated, ta :smile:

Top Bottom