Replacement Bike Advice after riding the Bike From Hell

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jordibird

Hi,

I'm new to both the forum and to cycling and I am in need of some advice from the people in the know. 9 month ago I decided to cycle to work mainly to save money and it is easier than getting the bus etc. I lent my father in law's old Challenge (I think it was) MTB and voila off I went. After a month of blood (yes I fell off hitting a pot hole lol) sweat and tears (after falling off and hurting my pride) I decided that I could get in to this and went and purchased what I thought would be the ideal bike. The bike turned out to be evil (Stephen King wants it for his new film as it would give that car a run for her money as well as being the same colour). Not knowing any better I toddled into Halfords and came away with a Trax TFS1 double suspension MTB (it was recommended by the lad in there and to be honest I did like the colour :blush: ). I have took this bike back in about 6 times now and have been given the run around each time. The wheels do not run smooth they are for wont of a better word "wonkey" the brakes are loose and rub and it's like I'm riding into a force 10 hurrican even down hill. Parts of the bike are rusted and the handlebar will not stay in place and twists out of place, there are some strange clanking noises when I pedal and now the frame has a hairline crack in it. I took it back again to Halfords and pointed out the crack and everything else that had gone wrong since my last visit. Their response was that I have rode it offroad on bad surfaces and the stress of that has caused the fatigue in the metal and they will not replace it. They will repair and service it again but I would have to pay. Now the Manx Missile I am not but I thought that's what double suspension MTB's do, go off road, but no they were not having any of it so that was that.

So, after my very long winded story :rolleyes: sorry I am after a proper bike. There are 2 which I may be able to stretch the purse strings to (if we eat spam for 3 months) and I need your advice as to which would be the best, or any of your recommendations. The first is a Claud Butler Explorer 500 2010 model as it is cheaper (although I have been offered the 2011 model for £400 full assenbled and with free servicing from a proper bike shop). The 2nd one is the Specialized Ariel Disc, again the cheapest model I can obtain.

The route I take to work does entail going off road onto a very rough track with pot holes the size of Gaping Gil and after the brake fiasco on my current bike (which are now very tempramental to say the least) I thought discs would be more suitable - please tell me otherwise. I don't know if being the size of garden gnome would be a factor either (I'm 5ft and a half an inch).

So please if you could help me out I'd be most grateful and hopefully I can enjoy being on a bike again. :biggrin:

Thanks

So what's your absolute ceiling as far as spend, Jordibird? (I am assuming somewhere in the region of £450) You can get a very competent hybrid machine for that money, even Womens Specific.
Most hybrids will manage potholed tracks and paths and you almost certainly overdid it with a dual-suspension bike as they weigh too much for your sort of riding.
May I suggest a Kona Dew City FRR? It comes with all-important commute extras like muguards and rear rack, a reliable drivechain and mountain bike geometry giving a reasonable stand-over height. RRP is around £350 but a web search can get that to under £300 which leaves cash for waterproofs, lights and a good lock. 700 x 35 tyres should give a compliant ride over rough stuff.
Here's one on the Evans website: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/kona/dew-city-frr-2011-hybrid-bike-ec027215

Bill

Brandane

Legendary Member
Can you not push Halfords a bit with regards to having your money refunded; bearing in mind that you bought a new bike from them less than 9 months ago which has turned out to be "not fit for purpose"?

I am not a lawyer, but I would have thought that if they sell a MOUNTAIN bike with front and/or rear suspension then it would be expected to be able to cope with some rough treatment without the frame cracking :ohmy:.

Hicky

Guru
My wife has a 15" frame Specialized Myka if you hunt around for last years model you should get it for less than £250.

I like the bike, more importantly so does she.
The standover height is low enought for my 8y/o 4 foot 1 son to just about stand over so you should be fine.

However.....I'd suggest going back to Halfords and not leaving until you've had a polite but assertive discussion with the store manager listing when your experiance has been.

If you get no where(take notes on what has been said (make sure he knows this!)) let him know you will be handing them a letter listing your problems and sending a copy to the head office/complaints office informing them and onto trading standards for not fit for purpose equipment.

Best of luck, but dont go buying a bike until you've completly exhausted all attempts at getting your money back.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..

From their own website description:

Features & Benefits of the Trax TFS.1 Ladies MTB
  • Full suspension for increased comfort both on and off road
  • Female fit saddle and frame geometry ensures comfort for ladies
  • Extremely powerfully Logan front and rear V-brakes
  • 18 Speed gears proving a wide range of gears for all situations
  • ATB tyres provide good grip in all conditions
  • Soft touch handlebar grips provide extra comfort and control
  • The Trax TFS.1 Ladies Mountain Bike is specifically designed to fulfil the requirements of female cyclists

If you were to ever so gently point out that they are implying in their guff that you can infact use the bike off road and as Brandane has said it is actually being sold as a mountain bike then its only fair for you to expect to be able to use it off road. Unfortunately though, they dont have to, in law, replace it. An offer to repair it is seen as satisfactory. If they still maintain that is a mountain bike, but can't be used off road then you can have a go at false advertising in which case you shoul be entitled to reimbursement (they are calling it a mountain bike, not a mountain style bike)

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
However.....I'd suggest going back to Halfords and not leaving until you've had a polite but assertive discussion with the store manager listing when your experiance has been.

If you get no where(take notes on what has been said (make sure he knows this!)) let him know you will be handing them a letter listing your problems and sending a copy to the head office/complaints office informing them and onto trading standards for not fit for purpose equipment.

Best of luck, but dont go buying a bike until you've completly exhausted all attempts at getting your money back.

Actually my suggestion would be do exhaust all attempts to get your money back from Halfrauds (and don't accept a similar replacement even if new - new rubbish is still rubbish...), but do replace it in the meantime because what they sold you sounds dangerous on the road or trail

Many folks on this forum are very knowledgeable and will offer you good advice unclouded by commercial interests.

Good luck!

OP
OP
J

Jordibird

Hi,

Thanks so much for all the good sound advice, :thumbsup: I am going to go down to Halfords tomorrow (armed with notebook and copy of bike spec) and see what they have to say. I will take all the advice you have given here and tell them that the bike is dangerous and that I want a refund. I've actually stopped riding it after today as there is a very weird creaking and tearing noise coming from it and that added to the braking has put me off. I do not want to end up riding a uni cycle going down hill at my age lol.

I'll let you know what happens tomorrow and I will also check out those bikes that have been suggested - thanks. I'm on a tight budget and if I don't get a refund then probably the most I could stretch to would be £300 to £350 not much by bike standards I know but anything has got to better than the one I have now :ohmy: I don't know I must be the only person to take up cycling and opt for a double suspension devil bike :whistle: Well it seemed like a good idea at the time, I only wish I found this forum 1st.

Thanks and I'll post the outcome of the saga tomorrow.

Lesley

Hi,

Thanks so much for all the good sound advice, :thumbsup: I am going to go down to Halfords tomorrow (armed with notebook and copy of bike spec) and see what they have to say. I will take all the advice you have given here and tell them that the bike is dangerous and that I want a refund. I've actually stopped riding it after today as there is a very weird creaking and tearing noise coming from it and that added to the braking has put me off. I do not want to end up riding a uni cycle going down hill at my age lol.

I'll let you know what happens tomorrow and I will also check out those bikes that have been suggested - thanks. I'm on a tight budget and if I don't get a refund then probably the most I could stretch to would be £300 to £350 not much by bike standards I know but anything has got to better than the one I have now :ohmy: I don't know I must be the only person to take up cycling and opt for a double suspension devil bike :whistle: Well it seemed like a good idea at the time, I only wish I found this forum 1st.

Thanks and I'll post the outcome of the saga tomorrow.

Lesley

it might be worth saying you don't want a replacement but would like to pay more to upgrade to a more suitable (carrera) model and could they facilitate this in light of the problems encountered.

fimm

Veteran
I don't know I must be the only person to take up cycling and opt for a double suspension devil bike :whistle: Well it seemed like a good idea at the time, I only wish I found this forum 1st.

Sadly, you're not. There's even an expression "bicycle shaped object" (BSO) for the things...
I hope you've had some success at Halfords...

valetillidye

If you get nowhere with Halfords give your local trading standards a call. I had a problem with a new kitchen (not bike related I know) and was getting fobbed off but a quick call to them and advice on how to word a letter they soon rectified the problem

Top Bottom