Replacement brakes on an 80's frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
O

Olly

Long delay in catch up - sorry!
Well I ended up going and getting a service as wheels need truing aswell. I went to the cycle surgery on great Portland street as it's on the way to work and they said it would be done in a day.
Took it in for a look over on the thursday and a really helpfully chap was incouraging about the brakes and said he would do the wheels too in o e day on the Friday.
So along comes the Friday...
Drop off bike first thing thay said pick up by 5.30 and they would call with a quote before starting work...
5.30 - no word so I call them " sorry mate it'll be ready by 7pm. I had to go out so I said I would have to get the bus home ( grrrrr ) and pick it up in the morning..
Sat am...
Pissing rain buss into town ( grrrrr )
at shop - " it'll be another 2 hours"

by this time I'm fuming and can't come back that day so
Monday am bus again ( grrrrrr ) plus I was the first sunny morning of the year!!!!!!!!!!!!
Got bike yay!
Brakes work but IMHO still under powered wheel a bit better but still a bit whobbly!

Moral...
B*llocks to cycle surgery!

Mosquito bikes for me from now on!

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Sorry to hear your experience about the unprofessional lot in Portland Street, your feedback is useful though.

OP
OP
O

Olly

I must say I've never been a big fan of cycle surgery in the past ( just buying little bits and bobs) but this took the busciut!
To me they are just another chain! Sell a bike and move on. Or in my case get a bike in for service and get it when we can be bothered.
Lbs from now on!!!

briank

I had a 1977 Holdsworth Mistral fitted with Mafac 2000 centrepulls for many years - still have the frame though it's rusted out now. In 1994 I finally got another bike, equipped with the first of the STI groupsets - 8 -speed Dura Ace - which had side-pulls. The difference in braking power and modulation was fantastic.
I've also used the Alhongas. There's a bit more flex in them than good short-drop side-pulls but they're fine and, I think, you'll be pleasantly surprised if you try them.

jimboalee

My Pug PX10LE has MAFAC (Manufacture Auvergnoise de Freins et Accessoires pour Cycles) centre pull brakes.

No probs. All they need is the right rubber.

In 1995, I found a box of blocks in a LBS, so bought the lot.

The original rubber was soft and red. The blocks wear in no time and the rims end up pink.

Koolstop Salmon does the job.

OP
OP
O

Olly

I still think I'll change the brakes in the summer

either tektro's or if I can fin someone to make me drop bolts some 90's campagnolo brakes.

Anyone ever had a part ( ie dropbolts )
machined??

Top Bottom