Replacement disc brake pad adjuster?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
I'd get the Spyre too, my bike has them and they are powerful and easy to set up, but I would say that the adjusters are initially very tight to loosen as they seem to have thread lock on the adjuster screw, but once they are free to turn they are very easy to set up, and are the best performers for the money

vickster

Legendary Member
Either should be good, but I wouldn't pay the extra for the SLC version, it's really not worth it for a few grams.
Certainly not on a 15kg bike :smile:

OP
OP
S

Shoxt3r

Thanks all for the replies!
Ok so...bit of a development. I decided to try the local bike shop as I emailed and said I was looking for a brake pad adjuster and he said he had a few "seconds" Tektros in stock which he may be able to take an adjuster off. Unfortunately they were all older models so the adjusters were bigger than what my bike can take.

Therefore he suggested bringing it in another time (he was close to closing and had other bikes to finish off) and he fit one of the Tektro Aries second-hand callipers for me at a cost of £30 all-in. Do you think this is worth it or should I still opt for a brand new TRP Spyre as above?

OP
OP
S

Shoxt3r

Seems reasonable to me, £30 fitted - depends how confident you'd feel fitting the source yourself.

Yeah, I guess for me it comes down to what's going to be better - a second-hand Tektro Aries or a new TRP Spyre?

I've had a look on YouTube and found an install video from TRP themselves and it looks very straightforward and I have all the tools to do the job 🙂

si_c

Guru
Yeah, I guess for me it comes down to what's going to be better - a second-hand Tektro Aries or a new TRP Spyre?

I've had a look on YouTube and found an install video from TRP themselves and it looks very straightforward and I have all the tools to do the job 🙂
The Spyre is without doubt the better brake, it's dual pivot instead of single action so the clamping has more control. Also it's a doddle to move the pistons in/out to account for wear - just a (3mm iirc) allen key which you'll have on a multitool. I was very happy with the Spyre, I only stopped using them when the bike frame failed and I got a new bike.

DRM

Guru

as I put earlier, for some bizarre reason, the adjusters in the Spyres have threadlock on them, so will appear stuck, but then will let go with a crack, make sure you use a quality allen key, fully inserted into the grub screw, as a cheap one could easily round out the grub screw of the adjuster.
Once freed off they are a doddle to adjust for pad wear.

OP
OP
S

Shoxt3r

Ok thanks all for the further replies.
I'm steering towards getting the TRP Spyre to fit myself I think - ensures I get a new and decent brake at the end of it.

battered

Guru
That will be a metric thread. You need to measure the size and then either buy a grub screw in that size (M whatever) or get a bolt/set screw, cut it down, cut a slot in it for a screwdriver, and wind it in.

OP
OP
S

Shoxt3r

Well that's just typical... I finally get the money together to get the TRP Spyre and it's out of stock everywhere and gone up in price :rolleyes::laugh:

OP
OP
S

Shoxt3r

Thanks for sharing - the main problem I'm finding with the Tektro is getting spares if I need them. The BB7 or the TRP Spyre both seem to have spare parts readily available if I need to source them (thinking ahead if something similar happens haha!).

It's proving generally quite difficult to find brake calipers available...did everyone knacker their brakes during the winter season?? 😂

Last edited:

DRM

Guru
Thanks for sharing - the main problem I'm finding with the Tektro is getting spares if I need them. The BB7 or the TRP Spyre both seem to have spare parts readily available if I need to source them (thinking ahead if something similar happens haha!).

It's proving generally quite difficult to find brake calipers available...did everyone knacker their brakes during the winter season?? 😂
Those brakes I've linked to are TRP Spyres, Tektro owns the TRP brand, TRP stands for Tektro Racing Products :okay:
TRP Company | TRP Shifting Focus (trpcycling.eu)

OP
OP
S

Shoxt3r

Good to know!
Ok so despite not being able to find TRP Spyres in stock anywhere (Wiggle seem to list it as "no longer available"), I have managed to track down a used pair complete with pads, rotors and fixings all in for £45.

My question is, would I have post mounts for front and rear, or just the front on my Carrera Subway? How can I tell?

Many thanks all, and hope you're having a good Easter break so far. Hopefully I'm getting somewhere now!

OP
OP
S

Shoxt3r

Ok so I've now been in touch with a number of retailers over the stock issues, and I received the following back regarding the TRP Spyre?

"However all Spyre brakes are designed to work with road (usually drop bar) brake levers and I suspect your Subway will have flat bar MTB style levers which have a shorter cable pull."

What? 😕

Top Bottom