Replacement disc brake pad adjuster?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shoxt3r

Hi all,

Unfortunately after adjusting the brake and presumably during a ride, the pad adjuster for my mechanical front disc brake on my Carrera Subway 1 has dropped out (feel like a right pillock!!). I've reached out to Halfords Customer Service and my local store but unfortunately that part isn't available as a standalone (the guy said it can easily drop out when they're doing in-store repairs).

Missing the adjuster:

PXL_20210206_143145015.MP.jpg

What it should look like:
1615907881976.png

Is there anything I can do to get a replacement? I've looked on Google and eBay but it's such a generic term that all I find are guides on how to adjust brakes or entire replacement brakes. I'm not really up for replacing the entire brake if I can help it - some have suggested I ditch my standard brakes entirely and go for hydraulic instead but I can't really justify the cost at the moment.

Obviously without that part it's not really safe for me to ride (I've risked it a couple of times but I can feel the brake is down on power and also hear the disc itself scrubbing as I ride).

Any thoughts? Could I maybe just get away with replacing the caliper instead?
Helpfully it seems the store was able to determine that they're Clarks brakes so that may help a little?

Thanks in advance!

Can you id the brake. is it promax?
The brake pad code should tell you.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
That's the sort of thing that if it were a car, you'd go to the scrapyard for...

These parts are mass produced and are so cheap that spares generally don't even cross the minds of the manufacturers. Id just look for a cheap replacement caliper with an adjuster which looks similar. Chances are it would be the same and if not, just switch over to the new caliper...

OP
OP
S

Shoxt3r

Can you id the brake. is it promax?
The brake pad code should tell you.
Presumably that's not the code that's partially visible in the shot above (which would normally be covered by the adjuster)?

That's the sort of thing that if it were a car, you'd go to the scrapyard for...

These parts are mass produced and are so cheap that spares generally don't even cross the minds of the manufacturers. Id just look for a cheap replacement caliper with an adjuster which looks similar. Chances are it would be the same and if not, just switch over to the new caliper...
Yes true! Can you recommend a caliper or would any old one do from eBay etc.?

Kajjal

Guru
That’s annoying, one solution is buy the same used calliper off EBay cheaply as that part does not look like one that would wear out. The only way to be completely sure unfortunately is a replacement new calliper.

OP
OP
S

Shoxt3r

That’s annoying, one solution is buy the same used calliper off EBay cheaply as that part does not look like one that would wear out. The only way to be completely sure unfortunately is a replacement new calliper.
Yeah it's tricky to identify what the original caliper is though to be honest - there are no markings from what I can see, it's just a generic part.
Would any caliper work or do I need to be specific? Speaking as a complete novice here... haha.

Superstar Components have a handy brake pad identifyer, if you know the shape of your pads.

https://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/organic-disc-brake-pads.htm
Thanks Michael, I can take a look - would that determine what caliper I go for?

Part of me wonders if I should cut my losses and just replace the brakes with a new set - these are £24 for the front and rear for example.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clarks-M...815010?hash=item52346c0e22:g:~jkAAOSwGLZgRiNw

OP
OP
S

Shoxt3r

Tektro M280

Hmm, you mean that's what I have or what I should go for?
They seem pretty hard to track down either way (1 eBay listing has a Tektro M280 caliper priced at about £25 inc. postage which seems a bit steep seeing as I can get a brake set for £23). Thoughts?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Hmm, you mean that's what I have or what I should go for?
They seem pretty hard to track down either way (1 eBay listing has a Tektro M280 caliper priced at about £25 inc. postage which seems a bit steep seeing as I can get a brake set for £23). Thoughts?
thats what you have , my tektros on my vanquish have the same dial, i think like you said it would be cheaper to buy the clark ones, i would like to upgrade mine to dual piston as mine are a PITA to set up

OP
OP
S

Shoxt3r

thats what you have , my tektros on my vanquish have the same dial, i think like you said it would be cheaper to buy the clark ones, i would like to upgrade mine to dual piston as mine are a PITA to set up

Ok cool thanks for clearing that up :smile:
Again talking as a complete novice what would I be looking for to get dual piston - do they exist for mechanical disc brakes (I've seen them on hydraulics)? Yeah I've had a bit of time of it setting the Tektros up at times, seem to go out of alignment so easily.

In the grand scheme of things would it be better to ditch mechanical and spend that bit more on hydraulics? I know I said originally I couldn't justify the cost but just weighing up the options. The Clarks M2 set are up on eBay for £54.99 for example.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clarks-M...nt-and-Rear-Set-2-x-160mm-Rotors/184396507215

vickster

Legendary Member
Ok cool thanks for clearing that up :smile:
Again talking as a complete novice what would I be looking for to get dual piston - do they exist for mechanical disc brakes (I've seen them on hydraulics)? Yeah I've had a bit of time of it setting the Tektros up at times, seem to go out of alignment so easily.

In the grand scheme of things would it be better to ditch mechanical and spend that bit more on hydraulics? I know I said originally I couldn't justify the cost but just weighing up the options. The Clarks M2 set are up on eBay for £54.99 for example.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clarks-M...nt-and-Rear-Set-2-x-160mm-Rotors/184396507215
TRP Spyres are dual piston I believe and maybe Avid BB7 (but for road bikes?)

OP
OP
S

Shoxt3r

TRP Spyres are dual piston I believe and maybe Avid BB7 (but for road bikes?)

Ouch... they're not cheap but there are rave reviews for both. It seems the Clarks CMD-21s I posted before aren't that great haha.
Also, there seems to be differing opinions over whether hydraulic or mechanical is better.

Essentially I guess I'm just looking to get the bike serviceable as cheaply as possible for now, and then maybe looking at upgrading my brakes later on.

vickster

Legendary Member
Get what you pay for :okay:
If you change to hydraulics you need to change the shifters, which is expensive esp on a roadbike

Top Bottom